Audrey Hepburn

by Sienna from San Diego

Actress Audrey Hepburn (http://www.convictmannequin.com/2011/05/happy-birthday-audrey-hepburn.html ())

Sienna Jaworski

Mrs. Young

High School English 2 Per. 2

20 May 2012

Audrey Hepburn

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness, and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you're never alone" spoken by Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn was a confident woman even at a young age.  She spoke the truth in her eyes and did what she believed bur it did not come easily. Hepburn had somewhat of a traumatic upbringing until she got to the height of her career. Her father had left her family at the age of 8, during the Nazi occupation of Holland for world War II.  Hepburn's mother sent her to live with relatives. However, her acting and dancing career didn't take long to start even with little experience . Hepburn spent a good portion of her life dedicated to her acting work until she became part of UNICEF, her real passion. Although she loved her acting UNICEF was the one thing she preferred more. It was what she wanted to remembered for. Here determination is what led her to become the goodwill ambassador in 1989. Audrey Hepburn used her well-rounded personality to become a true inspiration in both her acting and humanity work.

Maturity came to Hepburn for a few different reasons. Her family was separated  at a young age which could take a huge effect on anyone: "Her father, and English-Irish banker deserted her family when she was only 8 years old. Another traumatic mark was left by Nazi occupation of Holland" (Audrey Hepburn, 1998). Hepburn was forced to grow up without a father just her siblings sand mother.  That type of at-home situation causes the children to have more responsibilities in the world. therefore growing up faster.  Her young life was also another reason why she connected with UNICEF so well: "I can testify to what UNICEF means to children because I was among those who received food and medical relief right after World War II" (UNICEF People).  Audrey understood what it was like for the children and people. That is what gave her a better grip on every situation UNICEF put her in. Experiencing the same thing is what brought her the insight to the benefits of UNICEF.  Hepburn maturity really brought her much success because she could relate with many things, face it and move along with her life.

Audrey working for UNICEF (http://www.unicef.org/people/people_audrey_hepburn.html ())

Audrey Hepburn had a unique style. She worked well in so may ways, She was extremely well-rounded. This trait helped her get many of her jobs:  "Humphrey Bogart once said of her style, 'with Audrey it's kind of unpredictable. She is like a good tennis player-she varies her shots'" (Audrey Hepburn 1998). Hepburn knew how to get herself in, and if that meant being pleasing to everyone, she knew how to do it.  She was different which was what made her work well with almost everybody. She was talented enough to come across as appealing to so many categories.  Audrey also had many physical talents to help her out: "Hepburn and her mother moved to England to pursue her dance career. She was cast in small parts on stage and screen" (Hepburn, Audrey). Audrey had may abilities that she practiced including dancing and acting on stage, not just screen.  Having these talents gave her extra options and placed her in better places.  Hepburn just had an established personality that got her far.

Once Hepburn found UNICEF, it became her sold passion.  She stopped at nothing including her won illness. She had pure determination.  She believed that UNICEF was making a  difference and that it is what she wanted to do therefore she stayed committed: "Hepburn worked in a field nursing sick children and reporting on the suffering.  She chose to keep working for UNICEF rather than anything else to make a difference" (Audrey Hepburn 1998). Hepburn worked very hard to achieve her goals in UNICEF. She put them first before herself.  She chose to make the best out of what she could give.  She gave her hard work time and effort.  She chose put her everything into the charity and chose to do nothing else:  "Hepburn yields to a calling other than acting preferring to spend her time working for UNICEF" (Audrey Hepburn 1998).  UNICEF became her main effort. Audrey was so determined to do anything she could for those kids. Anything else was out of the question.  The type of drive she had for this cause came from her pure love for it.

Audrey Hepburn was a distinguished woman in many ways. She used her abilities for the food of her and the people around her.  She was born into a less fortunate family but that never stopped  her from pursuing the things that made her a legend. She achieved more than most humans do in their lifetime. She became an inspiration from her  commitment to what she loved. Helping and performing for others is what truly made her happy.  She strived in life and brought herself to be successful. Audrey Hepburn experiences shaped her: 'Your soul is nourished by all experiences'. She once said, 'It gives you baggage for the future-- and ammunition, if you like"' (Hepburn, Audrey).

Works Consulted

"Audrey Hepburn." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 22 May 2012.

Evensen, Bruce J. "Audrey Hepburn." Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives, Thematic Series: Sports Figures. Ed. Arnold Markoe and Kenneth T. Jackson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2003. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 22 May 2012.

"Hepburn, Audrey (1929-1993)." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 22 May 2012.

"UNICEF People." UNICEF. UNICEF. Web. 11 May 2012.