Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

by J. from Mission Viejo

"Cinema is universal, beyond flags and borders and passports." ~ Alejandro G. Inarritu
( ())
( ())

You're looking out over the infinite sea of people - the little gold man in your hand - feeling absolutely ecstatic that your hard work is being recognized with one of the most prestigious awards you had a chance of earning. It takes you back to when you were filming for the movie. Harsh climate, miserable actors, the critics watching your every move and the world waiting impatiently for things to hurry up. A director in the film industry experiences this constantly. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is one of these incredible people. I first learnt of him when I watched The Revenant, and was shocked with the beautiful graphics. As a wanna-be director, high school student and a Leo' fan, I started to pay more attention to the headlines about Mr. Inarritu.

Portrait of Alejandro G. Inarritu ( http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-revenant/38524/alejandro-inarritu-interview-the-revenant-diffic)

According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook website, directors make motion pictures and productions happen behind the scenes. They choose the screenplays that will go into production, audition for the cast, and manage the production process. To become a director, one must obtain at least a bachelor's degree and experience in the industry. The average salary for a director is 68,440$, and there is a high job outlook for the occupation. Similar careers include actors, art directors, choreographers and film editors. The film industry itself has developed into a beast of a business, and continues to grow with every new release.

Alejandro G. Inarritu (https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/ale (Variety ))

From his early days in Narvarte, Mexico, Alejandro G. Inarritu was inspired by art, music and literature. This later sparked his film career. He was also the youngest of seven siblings. However, Alejandro G. Inarritu was not a skilled student and had a hard time in school. Finally, he went to the Iberoamericana University, completing his academic career. He then became a DJ on a radio station in Mexico, using it not only as a platform to explore his love of music, but also to write small skits for characters on air. After this, he then went on to found his own film company, Zeta Films. This company created commercials and short films. His breakthrough in film was when he and Guillermo Arriaga directed Amores Perros. Nowadays, Inarritu is working on executive producing the show "The One Percent".

Alejandro G. Inarritu at an awards ceremony  (www.laineygossip.com (Lainey Gossip))
Alejandro G. Inarritu at an awards ceremony (www.laineygossip.com (Lainey Gossip))

With a recent stir in the film industry regarding diversity, a spotlight has definitely been cast on Hollywood. Alejandro G. Inarritu rises above that image however. Inarritu's latest release, The Revenant, high-lighted several issues, including the treatment of Native Americans and the Global Warming crisis. Inarritu brings the universal theme to the industry, with a famous quote of his being, "Cinema is universal, beyond flags and borders and passports." This is very important in a world where everyone seems to be at war with stereotypes and racism.

Inarritu has been a role model for me in the film industry since I watched him win his Academy Award years ago. Now, I am taking higher level classes, volunteering at theaters and have secured a volunteering job at award shows when I become 18. In college, I will be majoring in film. Later in life, I'd like to pursue a career in the film industry, writing, producing and directing movies. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has been a great influence for me, and a wonderful role model.

Biography.com - Biography.com has many biographies.
IMDB - IMDB - the Internet Movie Data Base - has information on the film industry.