Amy Lynn Lee

by Michael from Golden

Amy Lee at The Open Door Concert
Amy Lee at The Open Door Concert

My hero is a young lady named Amy Lynn Lee. She is the lead singer of Evanescence and the founder of "Out of the Shadows," an organization to help people with epilepsy. Amy was born in Riverside, California, in December 13, 1981. When she was six, her sister passed away from an unknown disease. She started her band when she was 19. Ben Moody noticed her talent at a youth retreat and so they struck up a band duo. When Evanescence was touring one time, she was noticed by recording artist, Paul McCoy. They soon had a full band and a record company. The company is called "Wind Up Records."

Only once in a while can an artist touch my heart to make me want to live and strive as a human being. Every day I get help from the songs that Amy Lee writes. Her songs are sad and depressing but I find comfort in them. Evanescence writes as if she knows my life and every song is a chapter in my life. When she sings she reminds me of a time in my life and when I listen to the song it helps my remember how far I’ve come to being alive still today.

Amy Lee is also an inspiration to me and the music I write. The music that she writes come from her own personal and emotional experience. I too write in such great form and passion. The passion she has shows in the way that she cares for those with the serous illness of epilepsy. It is always nice to see the stars wanting to help take care of those in need. One of Amy Lee's songs, that she calls "My Immortal," really gets to me because it is about a person who loves and cares so much for this one person and now that one person that she cared for is no longer there. I know how that is, this story happened with my best friend. One line in the song is "There’s just too much that time cannot erase." This line reminds me of all the times I’ve been hurt by my best friend. I hang on in hopes that she will ask for forgiveness. Evanescence is the one person that gives me hope that my friend will come back and the songs helps me get in touch with myself and the song that made her my hero and that my saved my life is called "Bring Me to Life." This song showed me the light at the end of the tunnel. This is why Amy Lee is my hero.