Abraham Lincoln

by Josh from Palmer

There are a lot of great and amazing people whose actions have changed the world for the better, but my hero is definitely Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln has been called one of the best presidents that the United States of America has ever had. His choices as president have changed our country drastically for the better and he is a great man and I look up to him.

Abraham Lincoln is one of the best presidents we have ever had and if he wasn't killed during his second term our country could be a very different place than it is now. I admire Abraham Lincoln and he is by far my favorite president our country has ever had. He is an amazing man who did a lot of great things to help people and make their lives a lot better. That is why my hero is Abraham Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. His mother died when he was only nine years old and at that time his twenty three year old sister, whom he never got the chance to know, died as well. As he grew up his father worked him very hard on their farm. He had a very tough childhood he worked almost all through it. As he grew up he was very interested in politics and he joined the House of Representatives. He ran for president and won. Abraham Lincoln was elected president in 1860.

As the president he accomplished many great things that have changed our country for better. He decided to make slavery against the law. His decision to do so caused a civil war within the country. With his excellent skills in politics and with brilliant strategy he leaded our nation to victory against the South. He was reelected for president in 1865. Sadly on April 15, 1865 right before his second term as president started, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth at the theater.

Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he believed that all men are equal no matter what they looked like, how they were shaped, or what they believed in. A lot of people don't have some of the same beliefs as he did these days. If we did all think like he did then the world would be much more peaceful and a great place to live. Another amazing thing that he accomplished while in office as president was freeing the slaves in our country. That is a tremendously hard task to accomplish and I admire him greatly for it. Abraham Lincoln was a great man and he is my hero.