Abraham Lincoln

by Jordan from San Diego

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."-Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Most people in life have everything handed to them on a silver platter, but not Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin on February 12, 1809 in Hogdenville, Hardin County, Kentucky. Abraham Lincoln had a very hard life at a very young age because he was very poor and his mother died when he was 10 due to illness. Abraham Lincoln is a hero because he freed African American slaves from slavery and was killed for it in the end and he is an inspiration because he always kept his temper and stuck to his morals while trying to hold the Union together during the Civil War.

Abraham Lincoln in his younger years
Abraham Lincoln in his younger years

Abraham Lincoln worked all his life, and it payed off when he became president of the United States of America. "Abraham Lincoln won a four way presidency receiving 180 out of the 303 electoral votes".("Abraham Lincoln"). Thus becoming the 16th president of the United States. "In the later stages of the war, Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, freeing the slaves, and angering the South after they began to really lose hope in winning the war."("Abraham Lincoln")

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln believed in freedom for all human beings. "During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln switched the North's main goal to freeing the slaves".("Abraham Lincoln") Abraham Lincoln knew that he had to free the slaves, in order for everyone in the country to be equal. Lincoln was one of the few people in the world who had the morals to switch a war's goal to not having any personal gain, but giving someone or something a great gain for them.

Abraham Lincoln giving a speech
Abraham Lincoln giving a speech

Abraham Lincoln always had to be calm and conservative when he made decisions during his presidency. "In conducting a bitter war, Lincoln never became bitter himself. Lincoln showed nobility of character that had a worldwide appeal."("Abraham Lincoln") Many decisions Lincoln made weren't the decisions that other people would make. Lincoln took his time and thought things through. During the Civil War, Lincoln gave speeches all over the country to address the beliefs and goals of the North, and they were all about his plans and they were backed up with great action plans.

This was a funeral procession for Lincoln after he was killed (Google Images)

Abraham Lincoln was willing to die for what he believed in and that was freedom for all people. Abraham Lincoln was shot and killed at Ford's Theatre in Washington D.C. by John Wilkes Booth, who was in a rebellious group for the South. The group was angered about Abraham Lincoln's decisions and with him freeing the slaves. Abraham Lincoln died on April 15,1865, the day after he was shot. He was buried at Oak Bridge Cemetery, Springfield, Illinois. Abraham Lincoln is known today as the most honored and greatest president that the United States has ever had.

Abraham Lincoln Works Consulted Page:

1."Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865)." Presidential Administration Profiles for Students. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 28 Jan. 2010 .

2."Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865)." DISCovering Biography. Online ed. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 21 Feb. 2010 .

3."Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865)." DISCovering Science. Online ed. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 21 Feb. 2010 .

4."Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865)." World of Invention. Ed. Kimberley A. McGrath. Online ed. Detroit: Thomson Gale, 2006. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 21 Feb. 2010 .