Abraham Lincoln

by Samuel from San Diego

Before Abraham Lincoln became a President, he was a self-educated person who had barely attended school for more than a year. Although Lincoln believed that slavery was wrong, he thought that it should be gradually removed rather than being completely abolished all at once. Lincoln was known for his moral standards as a lawyer, but few people knew much about him before his political career. (Carwardine). But no one could have possibly imagined that Abraham Lincoln would become the President who freed the slaves, and kept the Union from breaking apart during the bloody Civil War. Lincoln became a legend after his death, and he came to be known as the Great Emancipator. (Carwardine). Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States, and he was widely known for his Emancipation Proclamation, and kindness. (Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia). Abraham Lincoln is famous for his efforts to free all black slaves; his Gettysburg Address; his friendliness towards others; and his moral values. He is also known for his anti-slavery beliefs. Lincoln led the US during the Civil War, which was considered to be the greatest period of strife during the United States' history. (Abraham Lincoln Presidential). Lincoln was elected for President in both 1860 and 1864. Lincoln was born in Sinking Spring Place, Hodgenville, Kentucky on February 12, 1809. On November 4, 1842, Lincoln married Mary Todd, and on August 1, 1843, their first child, Robert Todd, was born. (Abraham Lincoln Presidential). In 1856, Lincoln joined the young antislavery Republican Party. In 1858, he debated against his Senate rival, Stephen A. Douglas, over issues concerning slavery. On September 17, 1863, Abraham Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation. On November 19, 1863, Lincoln made his famous Gettysburg Address. On April 11, 1865, Lincoln made his last public speech, telling Northerners to welcome the seceded states back into the Union. (Holzer). On Good Friday, April 14, 1865, Lincoln was assassinated by the Southern Actor, John Wilkes Booth, at Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C. Abraham Lincoln died several hours later on the following morning. (Abraham Lincoln The). Although many Northerners during the Civil War didn't want to fight for black slaves, Lincoln had the courage to fight for those he believed should receive equal rights. Despite the seriousness and behavior of others, Lincoln chose to keep his sense of humor, his moral views, and he refused to hate or judge others by their appearances. Whenever he faced a challenge, Lincoln refused to give up, but persevered in achieving his goals. Abraham Lincoln is both one of America's greatest presidents and a hero, because he had the courage to the right thing; he had good character traits; and because he persevered in achieving his goals.

Abraham Lincoln is a hero because he had the courage to do the right thing under all circumstances, even when he was pressured by both his staff and the citizens. When the Confederate States attacked Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, "Lincoln met the crisis with energetic action. He called out the militia to suppress the "insurrection." He proclaimed a blockade of Southern ports and expanded the Army beyond the limit set by law..." (Holzer). Lincoln was courageous in deciding to blockade the Southern ports and beef up the Army, because he could have received much criticism not only from his advisors, but also from many citizens as well. Additionally, such an act would begin a Civil War, and Lincoln would have needed courage to face this consequence. If Lincoln hadn't responded to the Confederate attack, the Union might have fallen. After Lincoln issued a preliminary proclamation on September 22, 1862, to free black slaves within the Confederacy, "... He issued the final proclamation on January 1, 1863. Lincoln named the states and parts of states in rebellion, and declared that the slaves held there "are, and henceforward shall be, free."" (Holzer). Lincoln was courageous in issuing the Emancipation Proclamation, because it dealt with the highly controversial subject of slavery. Many Northerners didn't want to fight for abolition, so this cost Lincoln a lot of his popularity. However, Lincoln did what he felt was right, freeing the slaves, without being concerned about the criticism that came with it. Abraham Lincoln always found the courage to do the right thing, even in the face of pressure. During the attack on Fort Sumter and his issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln did not back down when he was criticized for his actions. Instead he carried on, knowing that what he was doing was the best for the United States, and its people.

Another reason why Abraham Lincoln was a hero is because he had good character traits, even with all of the bitterness and strife that he was facing. His good traits were revealed through everything that he did for others, and he continued to be a good person throughout the course of the Civil War. This made him a trustworthy and honorable leader. Despite the discrimination that existed in the United States, Lincoln decided to welcome blacks into the White House, which was something that no American President had ever done before: "In Washington, he became the first leader to welcome blacks into the White House, to invite them to formal receptions, and to incorporate them in an inaugural procession..." (Carwardine 244). Lincoln's tolerance of diversity revealed that he didn't care about a person's outward appearance, but rather their inner character. Lincoln didn't judge others like most people did; instead, Lincoln saw the person on the inside and welcomed them. This separated Lincoln from most other people of the time, who judged by outwards looks, and thus discriminated black people. However, Lincoln cared about all different kinds of people, and his actions showed it. When the Civil War was drawing to a close, thousands of Northerners attending Lincoln's second inauguration expected Lincoln's speech to be one of triumph or celebration. However, Lincoln did just the opposite: "...Instead, Lincoln delivered a short, seven-hundred-word address in which he avoided blame, spoke inclusively, emphasized the shared experiences of the two parties to the conflict, and set out a case for a lack of vengeance toward the South... The victors should approach reunion..." (Carwardine 246). Abraham Lincoln could have decided to take vengeance against the South, and wreak further havoc on them. Instead, Lincoln avoided blaming others, and he told Northerners not to take vengeance against the South; shocking many people. Lincoln also told Northerners to welcome the Southerners with open arms, now that the war was ending. He told his people to bind up the nation's wounds instead of seeking revenge against the former Confederates, thus demonstrating his kindness. It is this trait that Lincoln was known as a "person who never knew hate." (Carwardine). Despite the bitterness and discrimination of other people, Lincoln chose to stand apart. He didn't allow the influences of others to change his good character, nor did he stop being a good person because other people were doing things that were not morally right. Instead, Abraham Lincoln retained his good traits, putting the interests of his people above his own. Even with all of the criticism and negativity that Lincoln faced, he continued to do what was right for his country, and his actions proved to others that he cared about the nation's people.

Lincoln should be remembered as a hero because he persevered under all circumstances. During the darkest days of his life, Lincoln never lost hope that he would be able to pull through and recover. It was this belief that allowed him to keep on fighting. No matter what terrible losses he suffered, Lincoln never gave up, but kept on going. During the Civil War, Lincoln faced a lot of pressure to either give in, or to make a truce with the South. But Lincoln knew that the principles of democracy were at stake in the war, so he continued to fight until the Union won: "The war's purpose was thus protective and conservative: to defend the values and political philosophy of Washington and the Founders in the face of national disintegration..."  (Carwardine 169). During the long war, Lincoln persisted in fighting for the principles of the Constitution, instead of giving up. Despite the heavy Union losses, Lincoln never lost hope, but continued to fight for what he knew was right. During various events of the war, many Northerners wanted the fighting to stop. Instead of letting the Confederate States become independent, Lincoln fought on to keep the Union together. Because of Lincoln's persistence, the split between the Northern and Southern States eventually healed, and slavery was brought to an end. During the election of 1864, McClellan was able to win a large amount of voters. He also made Lincoln struggle for reelection, "Yet even in the darkest days Lincoln resisted all thought of withdrawing from the race, convinced it would produce not a Republican victory but party confusion and infighting..." (Carwardine 294). Because of Lincoln's decreased popularity, he had a much harder time getting re-elected, and McClellan was able to win the support of many people. Despite this, Lincoln continued to campaign, refusing to give up. With the split in the Democratic Party, Lincoln was able to be re-elected. If he had given up instead, McClellan would have been elected as President, and slavery would have continued in the U.S. Additionally, if it hadn't been for Lincoln's perseverance, the Union would have remained split, and may have fractured into smaller, weaker nations. But, no matter what happened, Lincoln never gave up. He never lost the hope that he would be able to pull through, and he knew that somehow he would be able to overcome his obstacles. Because of his perseverance, Lincoln succeeded in reuniting the North and the South, and he was able to pave the way for the end of slavery in the United States.

Abraham Lincoln truly is a hero to people across the globe. He inspired people to have the courage to do what is best for others, and to always persevere in reaching their goals. He was also a good, unselfish person who cared about others. Abraham Lincoln always found the courage to do what he believed was the right thing, without allowing the pressure and criticism from others to inhibit him. Lincoln retained his good character traits, despite all of the discrimination and hatred around him. Lincoln never gave up during the difficult times of his life, no matter what losses he suffered. Instead, he persevered with the belief that he would be able to overcome those difficulties. Lincoln is an inspiration because he refused to give in to the Confederacy during the Civil War. When Lincoln was pressured to make a truce with the Confederacy, Lincoln realized that it was just a ploy, so he came up with a clever plan to avoid it: "...Lincoln realized that this was not a serious overture from Jefferson Davis but a ploy to cause political mayhem and swing an election which gave the Confederacy its best hope of independence..." (Carwardine 293). Lincoln knew that the "truce" would only bring the Union more trouble, so he refused to go along with it. Lincoln is inspiring by refusing to give in to his opponents, even if it meant prolonging the war. Another reason why Abraham Lincoln is an inspiration is because he set an example for others to follow, by keeping his word, even at the cost of his popularity. After he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln refused to take it back: "...Two months after issuing the preliminary order, Lincoln said privately that "he would rather die than to take back a word..." (Carwardine 221). Lincoln remained true to his word, when he could have taken it back to prevent losing some of his popularity. Lincoln is inspiring to others because he keeps his word, no matter what the cost. Lincoln never gave up, and he always found the courage to do what was right. Even though Lincoln is remembered by many people as the Great Emancipator, and the President who led the United States through the strife of the Civil War, he will also be remembered as a hero and an inspiration.

Works Consulted

"Abraham Lincoln Biography." Www.biography.com. A&E Networks Television,

01 Mar. 2011. Web. 10 May 2013.

"Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998.

Biography In Context. Web. 1 May 2013.

"Abraham Lincoln." Presidential Administration Profiles for Students.

Ed. Kelle S. Sisung and Gerda-Ann Raffaelle. Detroit: Gale Group, 2003.

Student Resources In Context. Web. 1 May 2013.

"Abraham Lincoln." The White House. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 May 2013.

"American President: Abraham Lincoln." Millercenter.org. Miller Center, 2013. Web.

10 May 2013.

Carwardine, Richard. Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power. New York: Alfred A.

Knopf, 2006. Print.

Holzer, Harold. "Lincoln, Abraham." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2013.

Web. 1 May 2013.

"Lincoln, Abraham." International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences. Ed. William A.

Darity, Jr. 2nd ed. Vol. 4. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2008. 450-452. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 8 May 2013.

Suppiger, Joseph E., and Suppiger Joseph E. "Abraham Lincoln." Great Lives From

History: The Nineteenth Century (2007): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 1 May 2013.

"The History Place Presents Abraham Lincoln." Www.historyplace.com. The History

Place, 1996. Web. 10 May 2013.

Bio. True Story. - We strive for accuracy and fairness.
Miller Center - The Miller Center is a nonpartisan institute that seeks to expand understanding of the presidency, policy, and political history, providing critical insights for the nation’s governance challenges.
The History Place - The Past into the Future.