Abraham Lincoln

by Kassidy from Columbus

A hero is a person that accomplishes big challenges in their life. A hero can also be from a comic. My hero, Abraham Lincoln, is well known for a lot of things he accomplished during his lifetime.

Abraham Lincoln was born February 12, 1809 in Hardin County, KY to Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. He had an older sister named Sarah and a younger brother, who died in childbirth. In 1816, Abraham and his family moved to Indiana.

His family lived in Perry County. He attended very little school because he had to help his family with the farm. Lincoln's mother died in 1818. A year after his mother's death his father remarried. In 1830, he and his family moved to Illinois. He became a lawyer in 1836.

In 1842, he married Mary Todd. They had four sons together, but only one lived through adulthood. He served one term in the US House of Representatives. He joined a new Republican Party in 1856. In 1860, he made his major political appearance. He became president in 1861.

He issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, that then freed all the slaves. On April 14, 1865, he was shot by John Wilkes Booth in Ford's Theatre. He died the next morning. To many he is considered an American hero. To me he will always be my hero.