Abraham Lincoln

by Kaden from San Diego

51,116, 4 million, 620,000, 4 million, 271, and 56. What do all of those numbers have in common?  It is not the answers to the popular app 2048 but instead just some of the numbers that make up Abraham Lincoln's heroic life.  51,116 people died at the battle of Gettysburg.  4 million slaves were freed.  620,000 total people died during the civil war.  271 words were delivered in the Gettysburg Address and Abraham Lincoln was 56 when he was assassinated. If you like bravery, courage, and honesty then you will love learning more about my hero President Lincoln."  Once when a congressman wasn't happy with a story Abraham Lincoln had shared the President responded: "I have great confidence in you and great respect for you, and I know how sincere you are. But if I couldn't tell these stories, I would die."  It is our responsibility and privilege to share the stories and history that make up the Life of Abraham Lincoln. In doing so we honor the man and what he stood for during his lifetime and ensure that he didn't die in vain. Abraham Lincoln was born in 1809 in a one-room cabin on a three hundred forty-eight acre farm in Hardin County, Kentucky.  He was a rural farm boy who worked his way up the ladder from his humble origins to store keeper and then on to state legislator, country lawyer, master debater, U.S. congressman, and finally to the highest office in the land. While in the White House he was one of the greatest presidents in our nation's history.  President Abraham Lincoln helped save our country from division and helped our country stay united. A hero must possess determination through firmness of purpose; resoluteness.  Have leadership skills with guidance and direction and be an inspiration with vision, a drive and a commitment to achieve that vision, and the skills to make it happen.  Lastly be a leader who has a vision, a drive and a commitment to achieve that vision, and the skills to make it happen. Abraham Lincoln embodies rigid determination, possesses persuasive leadership and inspirational oration and therefore he is a hero.

Abraham Lincoln had the determination to take a country divided over the treatment of it's people and used firmness of purpose and resoluteness in helping abolish slavery. Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen." Abraham Lincoln was determined to end slavery at all costs.  He said "always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." He was elected as the 16th President of the United States on the Republican Ticket in 1860 with the intent to stop slavery entering the Western Territories and helping slavery die out over time. The country at the time was not to in favor of ending slavery.  Abraham Lincoln knew he couldn't stop slavery right away but he was determined to stop the practice of owning human beings no matter the cost. He said that it was "an unqualified evil to the negro, the white man, and the State." The South was opposed to abolishing slavery because it was easier for the slave owners to make money through the slaves labor.  With determination Lincoln pushed forward his goal to put an end to slavery because he believed that every person was entitled to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Leonardo Da Vinci said "It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." Abraham Lincoln was not one to sit back and do no nothing.  With his drive and work ethic he put in process the Emancipation Proclamation.  The Emancipation Proclamation declared on January 1, 1863, stated that all persons held as slaves within any State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free." The proclamation in word freed 3 million of the 4 million slaves.  It also allowed them to join the Union army as paid soldiers and fight for their freedom.  Around 200,000 slaves were able to fight for the Union and help prepare a way to bring freedom to their brothers. The proclamation only actually freed a few of the slaves at the time but it showed that the United States was fighting to end slavery. Lincoln had firm purpose to end slavery despite all the opposition in the country in the North and in the South.  He was resolute in his purpose as the leader of the country. In his own words  he said "Determine that the thing can and shall be done and then... find the way." He was a hero for millions during his time and will continue to be a hero because of his determination.

Lincoln was a leader in one of the costliest wars this country has ever seen.  His persuasive leadership helped end the civil war and preserved the union.  He was a direct speaker and wasn't known for his tact but he knew he had to bring people together to end the war. He said "In order to win a man to your cause, you must first reach his heart, the great high road to his reason."  He tried really hard to re-establish rapport with the men who beat him in early political races, and famously made a "team of rivals" by appointing to his Cabinet the three men he defeated for the Republican Presidential nomination. He worked with democrats and republicans to try to agree on ending the civil war. I think it is remarkable that he brought some of his enemies to his side to work with him. My uncle ran for President twice and I can't imagine how hard it would have been to bring his rivals Barack Obama and John McCain on as members and advisors to his cabinet.  It is important that he did this because he wants to be a better man and a better leader.  It shows that he can forgive even though it would be hard. It also shows that respects other people's opinions and knows that to be a good leader you need to be a good listener. He needed those advisors because Lincoln had many pressures during his time as President. He kept going even though he had generals who weren't prepared, fighting cabinet members many assassination threats, groups who opposed the war and much much more.  He used hard work and leadership to reach the hearts of Americans. Many wanted to end the war to stop all of the people from dying but he pushed through until the Union won.  He helped pick the generals and even picked Ulysses S. Grant who was one of the best Generals and helped end the war.  Lincoln used leadership to see that he needed to continue the war even though so many people were dying.  He knew he had to fight for the rights of all Americans and win the war. He used leadership because he reached out to the French to help set up a blockade so the South would eventually have to surrender.  Lincoln knew he needed to end the war but it needed to end with a victory.  He was determined to lead to a win.  He strongly stated "The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

Abraham Lincoln used inspirational oration to save a people, save the republic and heal a nation. Schuyler

Colfax, once remarked about Lincoln, "No man clothed with such vast power ever wielded it more tenderly and

forbearingly."
Lincoln was a powerful speaker and debater.  He delivered one of the best known speeches in

American history when he gave the Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863 at the dedication of the soldiers

National cemetery in Gettysburg Pennsylvania.  It was only 271 words and took only 2 minutes but he talked about

equality from the Declaration of Independence.  It began "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth,

upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created

equal." The Gettysburg address explains to us the importance that all men should be treated the same way. The civil

war was the bloodiest war in US history with 620,000 people dying for a cause of freedom and unity.  Lincoln gave

the Gettysburg address to support freedom. He ended the address with "we here highly resolve that these dead shall

not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the

people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. The speech is seen today as one of the greatest

speeches ever but was ridiculed in local newspapers at the time.  Lincoln even said
"The world will little note, nor

long remember what we say here."  Little did he know that his inspirational oration would help heal a nation.
This

was a powerful ending statement because it gave the country a new birth of freedom. The Gettysburg Address is a

forceful speech because Lincoln explains that we take the example of the soldiers that died fighting for our freedom

and always keep our country free. Abraham Lincoln wanted everyone to be free despite the color of their skin.  He

was one of the most powerful men in the world but also one of the most humble.  He used his gift of speech

compassionately to inform us of our freedom and our duty.

It would be easy to say that Abraham Lincoln was one of the greatest heroes to ever live.  Abraham Lincoln embodies rigid determination, possesses persuasive leadership and inspirational oration and therefore he is a hero. He used his determination to abolish slavery and enact the emancipation proclamation.  He used his determination to help end the most costly war in the civil war and he used his inspirational words to heal a nation divided by blood and loss. Abraham Lincoln  is a hero to me for many reasons.  First because he grew up very poor and self educated himself to eventually become the President of the United States of America.  He also is a hero to me because of his determination to choose the right no matter how hard it was.  He also inspired me because of his work ethic and his ability to get things done.  His ability to speak to the people is inspiring to me because public speaking is not one of my strengths and it shows me that with determination I can do hard things just like Abraham Lincoln. The greatness of Napoleon, Caesar or Washington is only moonlight to the sun of Lincoln. His example is universal and will last a thousand years.. He was bigger than his country--bigger than all the Presidents together. and as a great character, he will live as long as the world lives.--Leo Tolstoy, 1909  He is a hero to me and a hero to millions of people both the living and the dead who love what freedom brings.

"Abraham Lincoln." The White House. The White House, 2014. Web. 02 May 2014.

"Abraham Lincoln Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 2014. Web. 05 May 2014.

"10 Facts about Abraham Lincoln." Council on Foreign Relations. Council on Foreign Relations, 2014. Web. 05 May 2014.

"Teaching Abraham Lincoln | EDSITEment." Teaching Abraham Lincoln | EDSITEment. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 May 2014.

United States. National Park Service. "Abraham Lincoln the Man." National Parks Service. U.S. Department of the Interior, 22 Apr. 2014. Web. 08 May 2014.

"Biographies of Abraham Lincoln Presidents." Biographies of Abraham Lincoln Presidents. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 May 2014.

O'Reilly, Bill, and Martin Dugard. Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever. New York: Henry Holt, 2011. Print.

"Abraham Lincoln." Gale student resources in context. N.p., n.d. Web.

"Opposition to the Theory of Presidential Representation: Federalists, Whigs, and Republicans." Galegroup.com. N.p., n.d. Web.

United States. National Park Service. "Lincoln Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)." National Parks Service. U.S. Department of the Interior, 30 Apr. 2014. Web. 07 May 2014.

Abraham Lincoln - History of Abraham Lincoln