Abraham Lincoln

by Shane from San Diego

“Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition” (Abraham Lincoln). The man who said this, is a man who definitely was worthy of recognition and respect. This respected person was Abraham Lincoln. He is known as one of the most important presidents of the United States (The Abraham Lincoln Administrations). Abraham started out his life on February 12th, 1809 (The Abraham Lincoln Administrations). Lincoln grew up in Hodgenville, Kentucky and most of the time, he self-educated himself(The Abraham Lincoln Administrations). Abe married Mary Todd and had four kids (The Abraham Lincoln Administrations). He was a Republican and was elected into the House of Representatives in 1846 (The Abraham Lincoln Administrations). When he was elected president, people knew he would be a good one; he had that kind of effect on people. He obtained the kind of effect that intrigued people into truly believing he was a good leader for this country. His speeches inspired many to think the unthinkable of freeing slaves. Abraham Lincoln was a greatly honored and respected man because of his admirable audacity to create the Emancipation Proclamation, his compassion to free the slaves, and his responsibility for leading our country into freedom.

Abraham Lincoln is known as a great president by his astonishing courage that he showed for his country. Using his perseverance, leadership, and intelligence, he managed to complete unbelievable tasks. “As President, he built the Republican party into a strong national organization. Further, he rallied most of the northern Democrats to the union cause. On January 1, 1863, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation that declared forever to free those slaves within the Confederacy.” (“Abraham Lincoln.”). Abraham Lincoln decided to free the slaves against all protests and debates because of his courage. Abe wasn’t afraid of taking the next step in helping people, it was a dangerous move but he followed through and stuck to his word. During the Civil War he was known as a great chief and leader. “As a commander in chief, Lincoln was soon noted for vigorous measures, sometimes at odds with the Constitution and often at odds with the ideas of military commanders.” (“1994 DC Tourist Map”). Abraham showed strength by standing up for what he believed in regardless of rules in his way. Even the constitution didn’t stop him, he lead through and protected his ideas of righteousness. “Honest Abe” was a courageous president who always pursued tasks of almost impossible proportions.

Abraham Lincoln showed compassion by creating a famous document that forever changed history. He showed sympathy by freeing the slaves. “In his planning for peace, the President was flexible and generous, encouraging Southerners to lay down their arms and join in reunion.” (“Abraham Lincoln”). The words in this passage prove, in detail, that Abraham Lincoln was very nice, cared about people, and tried to make peace by asking people to stop fighting. He also allowed anyone to join the Union because he welcomed everyone. Lincoln accomplished many honorable achievements humbly and compassionately. “Lincoln’s achievements —saving the Union and freeing the slaves— and his martyrdom just at the war’s end assured his continuing fame….he urged “malice toward none” and “charity for all” in peace to come.” (“1994 DC Tourist Map”). Abraham was compassionate towards the minority slaves that were under oppression during his presidency. He didn’t fail by standing aside and watching; he took action and emancipated the slaves. He was just that good of a person.

Abraham Lincoln was known and still remembered today because of his courageous acts, he showed compassion towards others, and he took responsibility for many things. Some of those things were creating the Emancipation Proclamation, writing famous speeches (Gettysburg Address), and running the country. I am inspired by his bravery to free the slaves at all costs. “FOURSCORE and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” (“Abraham Lincoln”).

"Abraham Lincoln." The White House. Web. 12 May 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/abrahamlincoln.

“Emancipation Proclamation." Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 4 May. 2011.

The Abraham Lincoln Administrations." Presidential Administration Profiles for Students. Ed. Kelle S. Sisung and Gerda-Ann Raffaelle. Detroit: Gale Group, 2002. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 6 May. 2011.

"1994 DC Tourist Map." Supercomputing '94. Web. 13 May 2011. http://sc94.ameslab.gov/TOUR/.