Abraham Lincoln

by Elijah from San Diego

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." (Lincoln)

Abraham Lincoln was Born: February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville, Kentucky, and died, April 15, 1865 in Washington, D.C. He was the president of our country, during the civil war and kept the South and North together. He was married to Mary Todd and had four boys with her only one living to maturity. Lincoln is my hero because he fought for equal rights of all men and is patriotic.

"Lincoln never let the world forget that the Civil War involved an even larger issue. This he stated most movingly in dedicating the military cemetery at Gettysburg: "that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." (Government) Lincoln wouldn't let the Civil War and what was involved ever be forgotten. He stated the most moving dedication in the Gettysburg Address. That the dead did not die in vain. That they have fought for a new freedom. "As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy."(Abraham Lincoln) If you are not a slave. Then you should not be a slave master. He expresses his dislike for slavery, by stating this. He has never been one for it.

"Let us at all times remember that all American citizens are brothers of a common country, and should dwell together in the bonds of fraternal feeling."--November 20, 1860 Remarks at Springfield, Illinois. (Abraham Lincoln) North or South we are Americans. That's when he believed. No matter the situation. "In stating a single condition of peace, I mean simply to say that the war will cease on the part of the government, whenever it shall have ceased on the part of those who began it." --December 6, 1864 Annual Message to Congress (Abraham Lincoln) He states that the war will end in peace if they say it. Rather than keep fighting without trying peace.

Though Lincoln never had a great formal education he became one of the greatest men in the history of our country, having ended the civil war and freeing slaves. Abe Lincoln has worked hard for his spot in history. Starting from the bottom working his way up. He was an inspirational man, having fought for equal rights of all men and being patriotic.

"Abraham Lincoln Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. "Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography In Context. Web. 15 May 2013. "Abraham Lincoln." The White House. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. "Abraham Lincoln Quotes." Abraham Lincoln Quotes (Author of The Gettysburg Address). N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. "Civil War Trust." Abraham Lincoln. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. Lincoln, Abraham. "Quotations by Author." Abraham Lincoln Quotes. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. "Quotes by Abraham Lincoln." Quotes by Abraham Lincoln. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2013.