Abraham Lincoln

by Joshua from Fresno

Cannot endure half slave and half free

Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States. Lincoln was born February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville, Kentucky. He was 51 years old when he got elected for president. Lincoln believed in equal rights for everyone and during that time they were using slaves to work on farms and plantations. So when he took presidency he tried to abolish slavery.

When he was trying to abolish slavery lots of people from the South didn't like that cause they used the slaves to do everything for them like farming and cleaning their house. Before Lincoln was born people used to smuggle slaves from Africa and took them to the United States. But one year before Lincoln was born they stopped smuggling people from Africa.

In 1863 Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves but the slaves didn't know till June 19, 1855. The slaves knew by the union soldiers that came to the plantations and told the slaves they were free. When they were freed they didn't know where to go because all they knew their whole life was being a slave. But then in April 15, 1865 Abraham Lincoln died but he accomplished a lot as a president.