Abraham Lincoln

by Cody from Wallingford

Abe Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was born February 12, 1809 in Hardin County, Kentucky. Lincoln was originally a lawyer for someone's firm in Kentucky. He was elected as the 16th president in March of 1861. Lincoln helped our country through the Civil War and helped the blacks get free too. He was part of the Republican party in 1860. As he was getting ready for the re-election, Lincoln was at a play with his wife and a general and one bodyguard. There was this one guy named John Wilkes-Booth who was there too, he snuck past the bodyguard at the door and walked down the hallway, and he was waiting for the right part to shoot him in the back of the head. As the part came Lincoln got shot in the back of the head. Two days later Lincoln died.

My person is a hero because, he helped the North through the Civil War. He freed the slaves from the south, so they can live in peace. He was a lawyer before he got elected. During the war Lincoln moved around from battle to battle, talking and visiting generals and soldiers. He also supervised the wins for the north too, and he stayed in contact with Ulysses S. Grant.

After the battle of Gettysburg, Lincoln was in Washington D.C. writing the Gettysburg Address. This address became one of the most popular speeches because he addressed that the battle of Gettysburg will be a sacred cemetery to the soldiers that died at this battle. During the primary election of 1860 Lincoln was running against fellow Republicans, William Seward and Salmon Chase. After the general election against the Democrats, and by the time he took office, the South was established and no leaders would be rejoining the North. In July Congress wanted to pass the Emancipation Proclamation that would free the slaves and let them live in peace, without having to be ordered around. The Proclamation wasn't going to be put into effect until September 22, 1862 until January 1, 1863. There were over one million slaves freed from the South.

It came time for the re-election of 1864. It was March of 1864 and Lincoln was getting ready to get elected, and he delivered his second inaugural address at the White House. It was April 11, 1864 and he was getting ready for the re-election of 1864. He was at a play with his wife and one of his generals when tragedy struck.