Abraham Lincoln

by Matt from Omaha

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Have you ever thought of the president being a hero? My hero is Abraham Lincoln. He was the sixteenth president of the United States.

He was born on Feburary 12, 1809 in Hardin County, Kentucky. His parents were Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. He had an older sister, Sarah, and a younger brother, Thomas, who died in infancy.

Lincoln married Mary Todd on November 4, 1842. Abraham and Mary had four boys. Only one lived until maturity.

Lincoln ran for the Illinois legislature unsuccesfully in 1832. Two years later he was elected to the lower house for the first of four succesive terms as a Wig, untill 1841. He served one term as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives n 1847 to 1849. He was elected President in 1861 through 1865.

As President, he built the Republican Party into a strong national organization. On Good Friday, April 14, 1865, he was assassinated at Ford's Theatre in Washington. John Wilkes Booth, an actor, was the person who assassinated Lincoln. Lincoln is my hero because of his leadership traits and his bravery.

Biography of Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln - Summary of Lincolns Life