Abraham Lincoln

by Tobe from Ansonia

<a href=http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/admin/tour/14826/14826lincoln_seated.jpg>Abraham Lincoln </a>
Abraham Lincoln

Throughout history there has been a great succession of heroes both sung and unsung on the surface of the earth. However, the hero that has seized my utter interest is non-other than the sixteenth president of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln. I’ve truly admired the manner in which in which Lincoln viewed people. He sought not the color of one’s skin nor how they appeared on the outside but rather he yearned to gape upon the inside of a person and treat them as the individuals or humans that they are. I undeniably believe that Lincoln could inspire any person in certain aspects in which they choose to lead their life. As I seek to notify you of further information and the biography of Abraham Lincoln, I beseech and entreat you to pay abundant attention to the information in store.

On a merciless glacial Sunday morning on February 12, 1809, Tom and Nancy Hanks Lincoln gave birth to a son and bestowed him with the name Abraham Lincoln. Throughout his life he recalled early memories while growing up in Kentucky such as, Knob Creek, which was his birthplace, the three fields their family’s farm was composed of, as well as his two year older sister Sarah. Education had no meaning to Lincoln’s father, however his mother insisted that her children be given at least a few months to attain knowledge. Her argument sent Lincoln and his two year older sister Sarah to a “blab school”, where children of all ages study in the noisy manner of the Frontier. Lincoln was remembered for his love of education and was likely to walk miles from house to house, obtaining literature that was no longer desired by inhabitants. While growing up he endured many struggles such as not being able to receive a proper education and at the time had no means of attaining knowledge on subjects that would serve as vital information on what he chose to become later in life. He also dealt with the loss of all of his family’s well-worked land, yet kept the same hopeful open-minded spirit he was known for and would be known for until the conclusion of his life. Due to being a resident in the area of Kentucky he was also constantly pressured to adapt to and accept the practice of slavery yet instead, he fervently denied and rejected all those who even brought up the subject, despite the convincing reasoning of neighbors that his family clearly needed the assistance of a slave. He underwent this and more until the age of eight when alteration was apparent in the eyes of Lincoln’s father.

As he became a strong and tall young man, Lincoln’s family departed from Indiana and sought new experiences in the state of Illinois. There Abe began his practice of law, and was well on his way to his promising destiny. At the age of twenty-five Lincoln was elected to office as an Illinois legislature after running for the second time, and remained so for eight years. After the election, he courted a woman named Mary Todd, and eight years later on November 4, 1842 were married, or yoked couple. Together they had four children, despite obstacles and dilemmas they underwent on the way. After all the accomplishments that Lincoln was rewarded with, he still dreamt of becoming what few have been entitled before, President of the United States. He fought with all his soul to achieve the new goal set before him.

In the February of 1860, Lincoln became sufficiently well known as a presidential candidate and the first Republican to run for office. His work paid off when he was elected to 16th President of The United States of America. Unfortunately, the South depended on slavery for its prosperity; however, the North opposed it and its extension into the Western region of the nation, all of which lead to the event on April 12, 1861, when the South fired the first gunshot and thus the Civil War began.

Despite bloody confrontations such as the Battle of Gettysburg, Lincoln was known to maintain his placid nature and at the same time competently handle the issue of slavery. He also presented a vision to the nation where he stated that he dreamt of a nation conceived in liberty where one and all are shown absolute and utter freedom. His vision was altered into reality when the North won the war and Lincoln passed the Emancipation Proclamation which eternally pronounced slaves free. He undeniably demonstrated the traits of a hero to the entire nation. For example, he demonstrated determination through the fact that he refused to allow adversary pull him back or desperately attempt to enforce in his mind that slavery benefited all and that no matter what he did he couldn’t change that. However, his path did not falter and he fought until he relinquished slavery forever. He also demonstrated courage in the way that he didn’t allow anyone no matter how intimidating they seemed, to strip his dreams away from him. Lastly, he displayed he was a model example for he laid the fact through the feats he performed, that any residing in the nation could mimic his example of his pursuit of justice and freedom rightly deserved to everyone living on the surface of the earth.

Unfortunately a few months after the conclusion of the war, Lincoln and his wife attended a performance at Ford’s Theatre in Washington D.C. That very evening on April 14, 1865 John Wilkes Booth, a man who opposed Lincoln’s belief in the matter of slavery, later shot and murdered him. As you can clearly see Lincoln’s story is one of a phenomenal human who began with meager beginnings, and went on to become one the most influential men in history. When he underwent defeats, he could have easily given up, but rather he pressed on and achieved his life’s aspirations. In conclusion Abraham Lincoln is one of the finest examples of persistence in history. He influenced me in such ways by demonstrating that no matter who you are, you can make a difference in not only society but history as well. Lincoln has also indirectly informed me that no matter who someone is, they deserve individual independence and the freedom to live their life as they chose. Finally, he’s influenced me by being the hero for who I look up to and showed me that no matter how far a goal or dream may seem to appear, that distance can be overcome if you work to achieve it with all your spirit and reach with your entire soul.

Abraham Lincoln - from The American Presidency/ Grolier.com