Abraham Lincoln

by Hailey from San Diego

Abraham Lincoln

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing" (Abraham Lincoln). When Abraham Lincoln wrote these captivating words in a letter to Isham Reavis in 1855, he proved that he was a true hero that was determined to give all he had to this country. He was born February 12, 1809 in Hardin County, Kentucky, where he and his family lived on a humble farm. In the summer of 1818, when he was ten, Abraham Lincoln's mother died of a deadly disease. That next winter his father remarried and Lincoln became attached to his stepmother. When Abraham Lincoln became an adult, he became interested in politics and law. Soon after, he became a successful lawyer and politician. During those years he met Mary Ann Todd, who he married and had 4 boys, "only one of whom lived to maturity.  In 1858 Lincoln ran against Stephen A. Douglas for Senator. He lost the election.  However, in debating with Douglas, he gained a national reputation that won him the Republican nomination for President in 1860" (Michael Beschloss).  His election angered the south because Abraham Lincoln wanted slavery abolished and they did not. This explosive issue of slavery started the Civil War. Through this long agonizing war, he never backed down, and the north eventually won. He was a true hero. A hero is someone who is determined and never gives up until he reaches his goal. Also, a hero is fair and treats people with the respect they deserve. Finally, a hero is someone who is intelligent and sets their goals high and strives to achieve them. Abraham Lincoln became a hero for his country by being determined, fair, and most importantly intelligent.

Abraham Lincoln had a very determined personality that contributed to his successes in life.  Abraham said these words to congress on July 4, 1861, "And having thus chosen our course, without guile, and with pure purpose, let us renew our trust in God, and go forward without fear" (Abraham Lincoln). Lincoln became very successful with moving forward without fear. When something bad happened in his life, he wouldn't dwell on it, and would decide, instead, to make his life better by learning from that incidence. For example, his mother passed away when he was a little boy. Abraham wasn't that close to his mother, so when his father remarried, he decided to become very close to his new mother. His new mother encouraged him to do things he was hesitant about doing. And by doing this he became a very successful man. On June 28, 1862, Lincoln wrote this in a letter to William H. Seward, "I expect to maintain this contest until successful, or till I die, or am conquered, or my term expires, or Congress or the country forsakes me..." (Abraham Lincoln). Abraham Lincoln clearly expresses his determination to William H. Seward that he is never going to give up his position as president. He is going to fight till the end of his term and do all that he can to help this country survive. Abraham Lincoln's mother might have passed away and he might have been hated by many but his determination helped him succeed in his life.

Lincoln was very concerned that others needed to be treated with respect and fairness.  Abraham once said, "No man is good enough to govern another man without the others consent" (Abraham Lincoln). Slavery was a big issue in the United States and Abraham Lincoln was firmly opposed to it. When he won the presidential election, the South was angry and even threatened to start a war. But the new president didn't back down he knew that no one should not be a slave or even treated like a slave. One occurrence he had with slavery was with his father. Abraham and his father did not favor slavery like most people did in those days. He once experienced a slave trade and was disgusted by what was happening: mothers being separated from their daughters and fathers from sons. Abraham Lincoln was the one of the most powerful people in the United States and he still had, and kept, his own personal values on slavery. He viewed things in only a way a hero would. He viewed everyone, including himself, as equals and of value. The Slavery issue truly was a defining point in Lincoln's life.  He was true to his value of fairness and stayed strong in defense of the personal freedom for every man. 

Lincoln was a very intelligent person who set his goals high and worked hard to achieve them. Abraham Lincoln grew up in a household where there was not a lot of money. When he was twenty-two, Lincoln left home and moved to New Salem, Illinois where his interest in law and politics began to grow. Working as a clerk, he met some educated men that encouraged him to pursue his interest and begin a career in politics.  His political career began in 1832, when he ran as a Whig for the Illinois state legislature. Sadly, Lincoln lost this race. Soon after he became a very successful lawyer and met Mary Todd, who he married in 1842. Even without a high level of education, he worked hard and gained the intelligence he needed to achieve the knowledge and career that he was reaching for. He had what seemed like never-ending confidence.  He believed that there was always something better waiting around the corner.  This belief made him a role model for many people. Lincoln believed that his political efforts would make a better nation, "I am glad I made the late race. It gave me a hearing on the great and durable question of the age, which I could have had in no other way; and though I now sink out of view, and shall be forgotten, I believe I have made some marks which will tell for the cause of civil liberty long after I am gone" (Abraham Lincoln). Lincoln clearly has gained great intelligence through the trails and experiences of his life. With this statement he expresses his great intelligence and deep desire to help humanity well after he is gone. Abraham Lincoln used his intelligence to become successful in his career and to succeed in his pursuit of equality and freedom for all men.

Abraham Lincoln is a hero for many people because of his determination, fairness, and intelligence.  Lincoln led a life of determination and diligence.  He overcame many obstacles in life and rose to better himself and his nation. He was true to his values of fairness and respect for all men.  Although unpopular, he remained true to his belief that no man should be in control of another's life.    Lincoln worked hard to achieve his goals and gain the intelligence he needed to change a nation.  Abraham Lincoln inspires others by showing that it does not matter where you come from; with determination, fairness to others, and true intelligence, great things can be accomplished by even the simplest man.  He was a true hero that rose from nothing to inspire a nation. Abraham Lincoln inspires us still today through his own words, "LET US HAVE FAITH THAT RIGHT MAKES MIGHT, AND IN THAT FAITH, LET US, TO THE END, DARE TO DO OUR DUTY AS WE UNDERSTAND IT" (Abraham Lincoln).

Work Consulted

Basler., Roy P. "Quotes by Abraham Lincoln." Quotes by Abraham Lincoln. N.p., 2013. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.

Abraham Lincoln. " Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography In Context. Web. 1 Apr. 2013.

Beschloss, Michael, and Hugh Sidey. "Abraham Lincoln." The White House. White House Historical Association, 2009. Web. 16 Apr. 2013.

Ito, Tom. Abraham Lincoln. San Diego, CA: Lucent, 1997. Print.