Abraham Lincoln

by Emily from Hingham

“You are ambitious, which, within reasonable bounds, does good rather than harm.” That is a quote from my hero Abraham Lincoln. Just that one sentence can tell you a lot about him. Abraham Lincoln was always a very ambitious person. But, I am going to tell you about some other traits that that will also show you how unbelievable and amazing Abraham Lincoln was. These traits are kindness, patience, and respected. These show why he was not only a great president, but a great hero.

First off, Abe Lincoln was a very respected man. What he did for the slaves was a remarkable thing. He was the brains behind making slavery illegal. So, of course the slaves respected him for that. Also, people related to him and respected him much more because he was just like everybody else. He was the son of a frontiersman. He lived and grew up in Harden County, Kentucky. Finally, he lived for the people. He was elected two times which shows how much the people of the U.S liked him. Also, he lived, represented, and stood for the people of the U.S until he was killed on April 14, 1865. As you can see, Abraham Lincoln was a very respected man.

Kindness is very important in a hero. Abe Lincoln had a lot of it. He was always there for his wife, Mary. They exchanged letters all the time even though Abraham was at the White House and she was at home. Also, when their son died, he was there at her side to comfort her. His kids were always a big part of his life. Abe always made time for them even though he was so busy. And wherever he went, they were always at his side. Wouldn’t you want to have this amazing man as your dad? I would!

Abraham Lincoln had many amazing qualities, but he was always so patient. He was never pushy even when things got really tough. For example, when he waited until 4:30 in the morning for the first shots of the Civil War. He also didn’t mind that it took so long to resolve the war. He also wanted the best for the slaves. So even though it took him so long and he had to fight for what he and the slaves believed in, he persevered until his goal was accomplished. He loved what he did and did not mind that at some times, it was a drag! He always felt that he did what he did for a reason. All in all, Mr. Lincoln was exceedingly patient.

I think I chose Abraham Lincoln for a reason. He was seriously an amazing man! From where he started as a poor farm boy, to end up being one of the best presidents the United States has ever had. He was the one who helped make slavery illegal, the Commander in Chief during the battle of Gettysburg, and helped restore the Bank of the United States. He will always be my favorite president.