Abraham Lincoln

by Ben from Lebanon

Abe Lincoln was born in a tiny log cabin February 12, 1809 in Nolin Creek Kentucky. Abraham married Mary Todd and had four children. Robert Todd, Edward, Willie and Tad. Only Robert Todd survived into adulthood.

Lincoln was elected the 16th U.S. President on November 6, 1860. While President, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing the slaves in territories held by the Confederates on January 1, 1863. He was the first President to be assassinated.

Abraham Lincoln died April 15, 1865 at the age 56. He was shot April 14, 1865 while attending the play "Our American Cousin" with his wife at Ford Theater at 10:13pm. He never regained consciousness. He died the next day.

Lincoln was the tallest President standing at 6 foot 4 inches. He has black hair and was the first President to have a beard. He often appears sad in photographs. He always wore a black coat with his tall black hat. He suffered from depression but often joked with family and friends.

Other interesting facts about Abraham Lincoln include the death of his birth mother from "milk sickness" while Lincoln was young. His father remarried and he became close to his Stepmother. In 1817 at age 7, he shot a wild turkey but was so sad that he never hunted game again. He disliked harming or killing animals. Even for food. He was fond of pets and he owned horses, cats, dogs and a turkey. He had a strange dream of his death one week before he was shot. His likeness is on the American penny.