Abraham Lincoln

by Joe

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. He was the 16th President of the United States of America. He was President from March 4, 1861, until April 15, 1865 and was reelected in 1871. His Vice-President was Andrew Johnson.

Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin near Hodgenville, Kentucky. He had very little schooling and was mostly self-educated. He eventually became a lawyer and a Republican politician; then he earned the nickname "Honest Abe." Abraham Lincoln married Mary Todd in 1842; they had four kids all boys, but only one (Robert) survived childhood.

Lincoln was elected President in 1860. During his presidency, the Southern states left from the Union because Lincoln and the Northern states were against slavery. Six weeks after becoming President, the South started the Civil War. In this war, the Northern states (the Union) fought the Southern states (called the Confederacy). The Civil War lasted from 1861 until 1865.

On Jan. 1, 1863, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves in the USA. During the Civil War, Lincoln gave many speeches, including the Gettysburg Address (Nov. 1863).

Lincoln was re-elected President in 1864. General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant on April 9, 1865, effectively ending the Civil War. John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln on April 14, 1865. Lincoln had been attending a play at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C. He died the next morning. He was the first US president ever assassinated. Andrew Johnson became the next US President.

Proverbs 11:3 Good people are guided by their honesty, but crooks who lie and cheat will ruin themselves. I think this verse applies because Abe Lincoln was very honest. I chose Abraham Lincoln because he was a very honest and good man.