Abraham Lincoln

by Zach from Eden Prairie

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Abraham Lincoln (https:/.../LouisL+-+Civil+War+Media+Project)

Abraham Lincoln was one of the most determined people in history. He ran for President three times before he actually became the President. During the Civil War he signed the Emancipation Proclamation to free the slaves. Abraham Lincoln was born in a one room log cabin in Springfield, Illinois on February 12, 1809. He was shot in the back of the head, at Ford's Theatre In Washington D.C., by John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865 and died the next morning at 7:22 a.m. in a boarding house across the street. He is my hero because I've always loved learning about him and I think he did some really important things.

Abraham Lincoln's mother died at age thirty-four when he was nine years old. As a boy Abe loved to read. His father, Thomas Lincoln, soon married Sarah Bush Johnston. Abe was skilled with an axe and was a local wrestler. He did not like hunting because he did not believe in killing animals. He only went to school for eighteen months but he did well in self schooling.

When Abraham Lincoln got older, he became a lawyer. He married Mary Todd on November 4, 1842. Abraham Lincoln had four children but only one survived to become an adult. Abe went into politics in March 1832. Abraham Lincoln was an abolitionist (someone who is against slavery).

In December of 1860, South Carolina left the United States to form a new set of states. It was soon followed by Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. Those states formed the Confederate States of America, but Abraham Lincoln did not want the United States to split apart so, the Union and Confederates went into the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln was Inaugurated for president of the Union on March 4, 1861. His first speech said that he would make sure that the United States would stay together.

I believe that Abraham Lincoln was one of the United States' greatest presidents, and that he did amazing things to restore peace and keep the United States of America together.