Abraham Lincoln

by Madison from Fresno

Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President, once said, "A house divided against itself can not stand."

In Febuary 4, 1809 Nancy lincoln gave birth to Abraham. He had to walk to school and learned the basics of reading, writing, and arithmatic. In 1818 Nancy died if a terrible disease known as milk sickness, that had already taken many lives. After her death the household started to fall apart, lincoln and his sister did most of the work. When his father returned he came home with a new wife and moved again.

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

He had a rough life growing up. He was self educated and worked hard. Soon he ran for Illinois legislature and didn't win, but after another try he did succeed. Lincoln got elected to the U.S congress in 1846. He married a woman named Mary Todd in 1842.

Lincoln opposed the idea of slavery. He became President of the United States. Seven southern states seceded from the U.S after he was elected. They seceded because they disagreed with his thoughts on slavery, which caused the Civil War. The South (Confederates) wanted to keep slaves and the North (Union) wanted to end slavery. Abraham Lincoln said, "a house divided against itself can not stand." He said that because of the South seceding.

John Wilkes Booth, the man who murdered Lincoln. (Google ())

The Civil War ended when the Confederates surrendered. Lincoln made The Emancipation Proclamation ending all slavery. On April 14, 1865 (five days after General Lee surrendered) Lincoln was shot by a man named John Wilkes Booth, a famous actor and Confederate sympathizer. President Lincoln was shot at a play at Fords Theatre in Washington. Lincoln was officially pronounced dead at 7:22 a.m.

Throughout his presidency he tried to end slavery. Many people hated the idea, but some liked the idea of ending slavery. He didn't do it for himself but for the sake of others. Lincoln wasn't selfish, in fact he was the opposite. He was willing to listen to others point of views and was honest. He got the nickname, Honest Abe, because of how honest he was. Abraham Lincoln may not have had any super powers, like the heroes in movies, but his hard work, dedication, and the fact that he helped end slavery, was enough to make him a true hero.