Abraham Lincoln

by Sam from Morrison

Abraham Lincoln At Age 54
Abraham Lincoln At Age 54

Abraham Lincoln: brave, courageous, strong, a fighter, fair, amazing. Those words are just a few of the thousands of words you could use to describe Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln revolutionized America and what it is today. Without him, we might be slaves, or we might be getting hung. Without him our world wouldn't be what it is today.

On February 12th 1809, Abraham Lincoln was born in a one-room log cabin on Nolin Creek in Kentucky. In Abraham Lincoln's childhood, less than a year after he was born, he lost his brother Thomas who was an infant. When he was only nine years old, Abraham Lincoln was kicked in the head by a horse and was briefly thought to be dead, he was able to battle through, but his mom was different. A year later she died of milk sickness and was not able to fight through.

In the beginning of his adulthood, Abraham Lincoln had to deal with his sister dying while giving birth. In the March of 1832 Abraham Lincoln became a candidate for the Illinois General Assembly. On August 6th of that year, he lost the election for General Assembly. On August 4th two years later, at the age of 24, he was elected to the Illinois General Assembly as a member of the Whig Party. He then began to study law.

On November 4th, Abraham Lincoln married Mary Todd. Then, things for Abraham Lincoln were quiet for a number of years until on January 17th, 1851 Abraham Lincoln's father died. In 1854, after taking a long break from politics, Abraham re-entered politics. On May 29, in 1856, Abraham Lincoln got 110 votes for the Vice Presidential nomination, therefore gaining national attention. A little while later he campaigned for the Republican presidential candidate. On May 18th, Abraham Lincoln was nominated as the Republican Presidential candidate, and in November of 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected as the 16th President of the United States.

It was on April 16th of 1862 when Abraham Lincoln signed an act abolishing slavery in the District of Columbia, and it soon became a law throughout the whole country, starting a civil war. Late in the war, Abraham Lincoln became the first President to be assassinated after being shot in the head on April 15th, 1865 at 7:22 in the morning, but in his lifetime, he created peace in America. 

Abraham Lincoln's legacy still lives on today. Without Abraham Lincoln our life wouldn't be what it is today. Abraham Lincoln made our lives what it is today, and that is why we should always honor him for that. Abraham Lincoln: A hero- in the lightest, the greatest hero-in the most definite way. Abraham Lincoln had to overcome many difficult losses and had to fight through the toughest of tasks. Abraham Lincoln is true hero, and a great person.