Aimee Mullins

by Alyssa from Riley

Aimee Mullins, born in 1976, in Allentown, Pennsylvania, was born with fibular hemimelia, which is where there is a partial or total absence of fibula bones. By the time she turned one, she had both legs amputated below the knee. Without her legs, she would still be able to walk with artificial ones, with them she would've been confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. She succeeded mentally and physically by pushing herself. Aimee participated in physical activity and faced her disability (My Hero Project). She is a very inspiring person because she overcame her disabilities, accepted how she physically looked and was confident, and was and still is a leader to many.

Aimee overcame her disabilities, and was still very successful. She was a star athlete at Georgetown, who became the first amputee to compete on an NCAA track team. She competed in the 1996 Paralympics in Atlanta, where she set three world records in the 100 m, 200 m, and long jump. She did all this with her own prosthetic legs, and inspired many people with disabilities. In 1999, she was a runway model for Alexander McQueen's London show. He designed legs specifically for her which appeared as boots. Everyone adored her and her story no matter her physical looks. She was very successful and determined even through the difficult times (My Hero Project).

Aimee accepted how she physically looked, and was confident in herself and her legs. Aimee landed a ten page feature in Sports Illustrated for women. She then started realizing her true beauty inside and out. After a while, everyone wanted Aimee for photo shoots. She became more and more confident in herself as time went on. Aimee reminded people that everyone is special in their own way by saying, "It takes some women until their 30's or 40's to realize that what makes them beautiful is not what makes them the same as everyone else, but what makes them different." Aimee realized for herself that she's beautiful no matter what condition, and that being different is beautiful too.

Aimee was a leader to many, and raised people's self esteem, and confidence levels to many different kinds of people. She works to reach out in the community, and helps others recognize their talents, despite their obstacles they may have to overcome. She served as a trustee in the Women's Sports Foundation as the president, and later became the president for the nation's oldest non profit employment service for the disabled. She also serves as a motivational speaker for H.O.P.E., to aid disabled people wanting to train. Aimee helps give advice and pushed people to be the best they can possibly be, and leads them into a positive life. She spreads her story around the world and tells people that, "...just because you've never felt something, doesn't mean you're disabled. Life is about making your own happiness-and living by your own rules." She's a positive role model and a very inspiring person.

Not many people can go on every day with a disability like Aimee. She was positive and looked at every difficulty as a way to get better. I think many people should be very inspired by her work ethic, drive, and confidence. She never looked down on herself, but she pushed others to succeed, and cheered them on. Aimee not only was an outstanding leader to people with disabilities, but to people without disabilities as well. She helped open many people's eyes. She taught people that it doesn't matter what you lack, if you put your mind to it you can do anything. Aimee Mullins is a very inspiring person because she overcame her disabilities, accepted how she physically looked and was confident, and was a leader to many.

Youtube - Aimee's Story
Aimee Mullins - Aimee's Model Pictures

I am Aimee Mullins.
I am 37 years old.
I was born without legs.
I am a model.
I set world records during my track years.
I am a leader.
I am confident with who i am.
I live in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
I help people with disabilities.
I am positive.
I am Aimee Mullins.