August Pullman, From Wonder

by Amira from St. Louis

Just imagine what it would be like to be "an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face". Well that's just what August Pullman, a character from a book called Wonder, is, and he is my hero.

Book Review Summary "Wonder is about a boy called August (Auggie) Pullman. He was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school-until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?"

I do not have any aspects to me that August had. (At least not in the looks department). In fact, I'm really normal. But when I read the book Wonder, I felt that even if August had such a face, that if he was an actual person I would want to befriend him. I really like his personality and the way he looks at life. He is my hero because he does not let what other people say about him get him down. He tries hard to make people see that he is a good person on the inside. To me, who has a lot of drama in my life at the moment, I felt he was the perfect person to be my hero.

RJ Palacio.com
Wonder - by R.J. Palacio