Annie Mansfield Sullivan Macy

by Paris from Liberty Township

Anne Sullivan
Anne Sullivan

Imagine that by a really young age you had gone through more than the average little girl. Your mom had just died, your dad had abandoned you, and you and your siblings were all separated. This is Annie Mansfield Sullivan Macy. But she knew what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Anne had it really rough and didn't get the best childhood she could have had. Anne was born on April 14, 1866 and died on October 20, 1936 in Massachusetts. She was born to a very undereducated family. Her mother had died later on of tuberculosis so she was left to take care of her siblings. Time passed on and her father decided he couldn't take care of his children much longer and abandoned them and she and her siblings were sent to different places.

Anne had to fight through a lot but it taught her more about life. When Anne was just eight she contracted trachoma, which left her visually impaired for the rest of her life. She also underwent plenty of surgeries to help her eye sight but they didn't do much. The hardest thing Anne had to do in her life was help Helen Keller. Helen was blind, deaf, and mute but Anne was able to help her a lot.

The biggest accomplishment that Anne did was teach Helen Keller. It was a struggle but it was her best work ever done. Anne worked very well with Keller and they soon became friends. By the end of Anne's teachings Keller knew how to read Braille, speak six hundred words, and most of her times tables. She was very much applauded for her work and her brilliance and won many awards for it.

Anne was a very patient person who really understood the value of hard work and adapted to all her student's situation. She really took the time to perfect her teachings and get through to all her students. She never gave up even if she failed numerous times. She really showed people that anything is possible with hard work.

In conclusion, I think my hero was a one of a kind person. She makes you realize that the world isn't always sunshine, lollipops, but it's how you deal with situations and how it makes you stronger that matters. Anne shows you have to be determined and open minded. If she was a lousy teacher she would have gotten nowhere. Perseverance is the key. Like Anne once said, "Keep on beginning and failing .Each time you fail start all over again and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose. Not the one you began with perhaps, but one you will be glad to remember."