Albert Vasquez

by Morgan from Fort Lupton

Heroes. I ask myself if they even exist. Maybe they were just made up characters we heard about as small children, or wished of becoming one day. How can we label someone with such a title when we can not even determine an accurate definition? A short two syllable word holds so much power, and this is why we must choose wisely with our labels. Accuracy may be a moderate thing for the term, "hero," but it truly can not be labeled itself. There is no one specific definition, but many opinions. Mine plays the role of Alberto Vasquez. Hero, a person who does things thing because of a passion and love, but not for false praising. Someone who does not even see themselves as a role model while everyone else does. My father, Alberto Vasquez, is not only my hero, but several others' as well.

My father was born in Boise, Idaho. He grew up in the small town of Fort Lupton, Colorado. He was the youngest of five children and it was an effort to grow out of his older siblings' shadows. Son of Lupe Bacerra and Rudy Vasquez Sr., both hard workers, yet still came to struggles. While working several jobs, it was hard to make ends meet, he grew up in poverty for most of his life. The stress of money was a lot on him, but growing up with an abusive father changed more than the type of clothes he would wear. Maria Guadalupe Bacerra and Rudy Sr. divorced in the late 70's. At only nine, his entire life had changed. Even with all the hostility at home, Albert strive to be the best at academics and sports. He attended Fort Lupton High School, where he would have met my mom, Dawn Lynn Weber. High school sweethearts stayed together after my dad graduated in '89. He received a full ride scholarship for baseball to Greenville College. Red Sox, Yankees, and Angel scouts all had Alberto Vasquez on their draft picks. A major injury put him out for a season in '91. Out long enough, my mom convinced him to drop out. 1992, he went back to Colorado, college in the dust. A year later his first daughter was born, and he saw hope again. My father started working at age 14 and hasn't stopped since then. He wished he was playing in the "show" and not as an electrician, but he knew his new family was all he really needed and wanted. With his second child on the way, they decided to pack up and move to Las Vegas, Nevada in 1998. Morgan Rees Vasquez was born at 6 p.m. She was named after the best baseball players to walk the face of the earth, Pee Wee Rees and Joe Morgan. Somehow he knew that one day she would have as much passion for the game as he did. Life was good for his perfect little family, but soon it took a toll. Dawn and Albert divorced in 2001. Nearly 20 years later his life drastically changed once more. He moved back to Colorado with his only brother. Everything seemed like it was the end, but it was only the beginning of a new chapter.

Passion is embodied in the heart not the mind. There are true heroes and there are people who just portrayed a heroic act. My father is a hero that has done many heroic acts. He helps everyone, but especially kids. From 2001 to 2010, he volunteer coached at FLHS (Head Coach Varsity). Him and his brother helped to build a program where kids didn't care. They changed that...kids from his first year of coaching still call him coach. He poured his heart out to every kid he got the chance to coach, they were like his own kids. He took them to state every year and competed in six championship games, winning four. Fort Lupton hadn't seen their baseball team excel so well since the late 80's After FLHS, he started to teach me the game. Ever since I can remember I was around baseball, but softball was the new game. I started playing at age 10 and have played on a 12A, and two 14A teams. Because of him I have a future. He has taught me everything I know. During all of his coaching he decided to do volunteer work as a hitting instructor at "The Hack Shack". Never had he involved money with passion. He loves the game and it's his life. Straight from long hours at work to coaching, he does it for the love and joy he gets when helping his players.

To have an impact on someone is a greater thing than being named as a hero. Albert Vasquez has a greater impact on me than anyone ever will. He has my respect and love. I look up to this man knowing he is the hero I see him as. I didn't choose him as my hero because he is my dad, but because he's my coach too. He does not see himself as a hero because what he does isn't for money, the title or anything else. Everyone my dad meets, player or not, he impacts them.  I choose him because he put his entire life into coaching and was never once selfish. This is a true hero. Albert doesn't only affect me, he affects all of his players. He shows the game in more personal ways. He teaches passion and heart. People have said he is the best coach they have ever had because he doesn't give up on them when their hope does. He wants to see his kids succeed more than anything. His impact on other kids is a great thing. My hero gave me life and changed it. My dad made me who I am today. My dad has made me tough and competitive, and prepared me for my future so I can be successful. He pushes me more than anyone and he does believe in me. Heroes change lives everyday, Albert Vasquez has done more than that...he made me the person I am today.

Heroes are not born everyday and they are not a dime a dozen. Seeing a hero at work is a life changing moment. I grew up watching a hero and I hope to be half the person he is. Heroes? There may not be many, but I know I was lucky to be in the midst of one. "You must be a teacher, before a coach." My father lives by this and makes sure that what he teaches is accurate to be successful. Albert Vasquez didn't have any easy life but he makes sure his daughters do. This is my hero.