Andy Warhol

by Katie from San Diego

"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." - Andy Warhol
 (http://www.gbllifestyle.com (Greg Gorman))

A boy lies in bed, ill with the rheumatic fever. He spends his time drawing pictures and gazing at his movie star posters. His life is not exciting. Little did anyone know, this boy will become Andy Warhol: the New York artist who eventually changes the idea of art and society as we now know it. Andy, originally Andrew Warhola, came from a poor background, a sickly childhood, and a loving family. His ingenious creativity helped shape the Pop Art movement, and more importantly, people and communities alike. Andy proved something simple and ordinary can come to mean something great. He, along with all heroes, share traits that make them special: determination, bravery, and boldness. To be determined, is to not back down when a challenge manifests. To be brave, one must be willing to risk something important, whether it's physically or mentally. To be bold, is to be able to express or do something fearlessly to convey an important message. Andy didn't just show these traits, he embodied them, proving he was a hero. His artistic risks in a world where conformity was more accepted than change, is a crazy feat. Andy's determination to succeed and inspire, his brave expressions and ideas, and his bold underlying messages, make him the superhero we remember today.

Andy at the Carnegie Institute. (http://www.artnews.com  (Philip Pearlstein))
Andy at the Carnegie Institute. (http://www.artnews.com (Philip Pearlstein))

Through challenging times, Andy's persistence shows that anyone can achieve anything once they set a goal. College was a rough ride for him, despite his artistic talent: "In the autumn of 1945, he enrolled at the Carnegie Institute of Technology; the rigor of his academic courses there made college difficult for him but he met that challenge and graduated from the school with a bachelor of fine arts degree in pictorial design in June of 1949" ("Andy Warhol." American). As a young adult, Andy proves if he - a person who struggles in school - could get a degree, anything was possible. His hopes and dreams fueled him to success. Andy could have easily given up on everything he had worked for, but his struggles paid off and led him to a future worth exploring. With his diploma in hand, Andy was ready to begin a new chapter: "In 1949 Warhol arrived in New York City, where he made a meager living in advertising display work. He took some of his drawings to Glamour magazine and received a commission to make drawings of shoes. These were published and admired; he then worked for a shoe chain. In 1957 a shoe advertisement brought him the Art Directors' Club Medal. His work appeared in Vogue and Harper's Bazaar magazines, and in 1959 he exhibited his gold shoe drawings in a New York City gallery" ("Andy Warhol" Encyclopedia). Andy faced many challenges in his efforts to success. Drawing shoes were certainly not what Andy had in mind, but he knew that to make it big, he had to start small. He stuck to his purpose, and was able to use a shoe advertisement to gain attention. Andy didn't take opportunities, he seized them. He made his not quite desired job a launchpad for his career. Andy's unwavering dedication to success proves we can all accomplish what we set our minds to.

Andy Warhol, self portrait (http://nonsite.org)

Instead of following what was conventional, Andy was brave enough to embrace and encourage the wonders of being different. In fact, it could be said his confidence expanded the boundaries of art itself: "Challenging the idealist visions and personal emotions conveyed by abstraction, Warhol embraced popular culture and commercial processes to produce pieces that appealed to the general public. He was one of the founding fathers of the Pop art movement, expanding the ideas of Duchamp by challenging the very definition of art. His artistic risks and constant experimentation with subjects and media made him a pioneer in almost all forms of visual art" ("Andy Warhol Biography."). His art was about popular culture, something entirely different from the blobs and dots of the past. He faced the possibilities of rejection, but ended up creating something that people of all backgrounds can relate to. To veer from the regular mainstream is a tough thing to do, because the outcomes are unpredictable. Even away from art, Andy was fearless: "In the 1950s, gay people often felt it was safer to hide that they were gay. They weren't always treated kindly. Andy didn't care. He was sure enough of himself to be himself" (Anderson and Copeland 28). Andy's era was more caged-in then the one we live in. Despite this, he was courageous by embracing who he was, and no one was going to make him shy away. He stood for being unique, and showed people they shouldn't have to hide who they are. Andy stayed strong in what mattered to him throughout his art and life. He used his art as an outlet and proved being different should be a remarkable thing.

Andy's infamous Campbell's Soup Cans (http://pomofinal.blogspot.com)

Despite his shy exterior, Andy's art carried bold messages understood by people of all walks of life. His art was right in line with the era and trends of his day: "By celebrating the ordinary, the commonplace, and the unpretentious, he created realistic works reflecting the surface and mundane aspects of a technological and democratic society" ("Andy Warhol." American). While people may say Andy's art showed the country's materialism, his art simply spotlights normal objects and highlights their importance in our world. For example, Campbell's Soup Cans were viewed as something edible, but Andy forced people to recognize them for their essential role in daily lives. He could have easily made art on diamonds, but he focused on the little joys of life. Some of Andy's artworks were carried harsher meanings: "Some view his Death and Disaster series, along with his Marilyn pictures, as frank expressions of our universal sorrow surrounding public events. Others view them as some of the first expressions of 'compassion fatigue' - reflecting the way we lose the ability to sympathize with events from which we feel removed" ("Andy Warhol Biography"). Andy's art can sometimes be brutally honest. In this case, the repetitions of death were meant to shock people and force them to look at what is going on around them. More often than not, it's easier to ignore disastrous news and pretend everything's okay. Andy's multiple art pieces urge us to not ignore the craziness out there. No matter what he focused on, Andy documented the life he lived and breathed: "For Warhol and other Pop artists, these images have taken on a reality of their own. They were not only shaped by but also reshaped popular culture. Warhol left social and cultural historians visual documents of the significant elements from America's consumerist society of the postwar era--an important legacy" ("Andy Warhol." Encyclopedia). Andy was truthful about his life, and the times we now know. More often than not, history focuses on the terrible wars, or the magnificent events, but when has history focused on the everyday? Andy's art brought significance to the average day and the average problems. His artwork changed people, and in turn, he changed the perception of the world.

The Andy Warhol Mueum (http://www.broadwayworld.com )

Andy's determination, bravery, and boldness makes him the international hero remembered today. Andy's purposefulness displays his steadfast vigor and ability to continue despite life's roadblocks, his bravery in standing for being different cast a new time, and his boldness connected social classes together. Andy made being ordinary something special: "The leading exponent of the pop art movement and one of the most influential artists of the late 20th cent., Warhol concentrated on the surface of things, choosing his imagery from the world of commonplace objects such as dollar bills, soup cans, soft-drink bottles, and soap-pad boxes" ("Andy Warhol." Columbia). Instead of using highly expensive items as his subjects, he used ordinary, recognizable items and made them the star of his work. Additionally, his dedication to the art world is evident even after his death: "Andy had arranged for most of his money to be used to start the Andy Warhol Museum and the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts in Pittsburgh, which teaches people about Andy's life and work. The foundation also gives money to support young artists and arts groups" (Anderson and Copeland 97). Andy's wealth helped fund and encourage the importance of art's universal language. The inspiration Andy has given me is infinite. He has helped me see the importance in everything, from a soup can to a city. Most importantly, he showed me the only superpower I need is the ability to love and embrace who I am. He proved we can all make a difference, whether we are a businessman, a scientist, or even a feeble, bedridden boy with a love for art and movie star posters.

Anderson, Kirsten, and Gregory Copeland. Who Was Andy Warhol? NY, NY, USA, Grosset &

Amp; Dunlap, an Imprint of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, 2014, pp. 28-97.

"Andy Warhol." American Decades, edited by Judith S. Baughman, et al., Gale, 1998. Biography

in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1602000957/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=150089b5. Accessed 18 Jan. 2017.

"Andy Warhol Biography, Art, and Analysis of Works." The Art Story,

www.theartstory.org/artist-warhol-andy.htm

"Andy Warhol." Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed., Biography Reference Center,

web.a.ebscohost.com/brc/detail?sid=b0c84299-0456-4909-ae66-314a6cfa6e49%40sessionmgr4007&vid=6&hid=4214&bdata=JnNpdGU9YnJjLWxpdmU%3d#AN=39039295&db=b6h.

"Andy Warhol." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Biography in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631006844/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=5e35d645. Accessed 12 Jan. 2017.

The Andy Warhol Museum - A museum dedicated to Warhol''s artwork and legacy,
The Andy Warhol Foundation - Andy''s foundation that helps promote and advance art.
IMDb - Background information on Andy''s art and filming career.
MoMA - Online collection of Andy''s artwork.