Adrian Gonzalez

by Matt from San Diego

Many people know who the person in the picture on the left is. People might say “he is the first baseman for the Padres” or “he is the Padres slugger”. What people don’t realize is that he is much more than just a baseball player. He is a hero to many people around the world. He is a hero for the work he does in the community and much more. Adrian Gonzalez grew up on both sides of the border living in Mexico as a toddler and moving to San Diego when he was in 6th grade. He lived with his parents and brothers. He began to play baseball at the age of 5 and never stopped. Adrian attended East Lake High where he was a star player on the baseball team. Eventually he made it to Major League Baseball. Currently, he is the first baseman for the Padres and arguably one of the best hitters in the league. Adrian Gonzalez is a hero because he is a positive role model, generous and hard working and determined.

Adrian Gonzalez was born on May 8 1982. Growing up on both sides of the Tijuana border meant he had to learn two cultures. His dad had played baseball for a Mexican National team and passed his love for the sport onto Adrian. “His father also owned a profitable air conditioning company that spanned both sides of the border”(“Adrian Gonzalez”). As soon as Adrian was old enough he joined a little league team and began his baseball career. “When his own practice was done he would go to his dad’s practice and shag balls.”(“Adrian Gonzalez”)He always wanted to be around baseball. As a kid he liked to play wiffle ball with his brother in the backyard. He is currently on the San Diego Padres and has started his own charity for underprivileged kids.

Adrian Gonzalez's hard work and commitment to his personal goals have made him a positive role model to all kids and young adults. Adrian is a positive role model because of his attitude on and off the field. “He is very active in his community supporting other charities and doing community service”(Garcia). He is a professional player yet he is not conceded. He does not argue with the umpires or blame anyone but himself. “He is also a positive role model because he never gave up on his dream to become a baseball player and eventually did”(Jenkins 38). He once told a good friend “you have to work out every single day, you have to practice every single day, and it is not just a matter of when you feel like it.” I think he lived by these words. This shows kids that if you work hard dreams can come true. He is not only a positive role model but also very generous.

Adrian is also known for his generosity towards others. “Adrian and his wife Betsy started their own foundation to help underprivileged kids”(“ SAN DIEGO PADRES' ADRIAN GONZALEZ AMONG HONOREE”). This generosity that he has shown with his time and money has helped many children reach their dreams and gives them opportunities to be successful in life. “He is also very generous because not only does he have his own charity but he also supports other ones too”(Jenkins 38). This shows he is very generous because he is giving to other charities as well. He gives all kids the opportunities to succeed and that makes him very generous. Adrian is not only generous but also hard working and determined.

Becoming a hero has taken a lot of hard work and dedication. “As a kid he played wiffle ball with his brother in their backyard all the time”(Adrian Gonzalez). This shows that Adrian is a hard worker because he spent all of his time practicing baseball so he could get better. Adrian also went to his dad’s baseball practice when his own practice was over. “He always wanted to be around the baseball, and he was willing to put in extra effort to become the best”(Adrian Gonzalez”). This shows that Adrian really loved the sport and was dedicated to it. Because of his hard work and dedication to the sport, he not only made it to the MLB, but also has become the hero that he is today. I can only hope that I will work as hard to achieve my goals.

The Adrian and Betsy Gonzalez Foundation - Empowering Underprivileged Youth