Aaron Walter Hill

by Max from Ontario

My hero is Major League Baseball player Aaron Walter Hill. Aaron Hill was born March 21, 1982 in Visalia, California and is currently the second-baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays. He wasn’t always a big baseball player and used to play soccer and golf as well as baseball.

At 15, Hill went to a soccer tournament in Park City, Utah. On a day off from the tournament, he along with his mother, Vicki went driving to play golf, however, on the way, she was hit by a drunk driver and killed. Hill had a lot of trouble overcoming this tragic event and almost quit baseball and sports altogether. It took a lot of effort and time from his brother and his dad Walter to convince him otherwise. In June 2000, at the age of 18, the Anaheim Angels drafted him in the 7th round of the Draft. Hill turned them down, however, to play University ball for Louisiana State and the Fighting Tigers baseball team. His career batting average while there was a very solid .355 with 23 home runs and 150 RBIs. Then in 2003, he was Toronto’s first draft pick in the MLB First Year Draft. He made his major league debut on May 20, 2005 after being called up from the minors as a replacement for an injured Corey Koskie. He thrived in the majors hitting a consistent .284 from 2005 until 2008. Then on May 30, 2007, Hill did the unthinkable. It was the bottom of the 7th with 2 outs and he was on 3rd base. The Blue Jays and Yankees were tied at 1 with catcher Jason Phillips at bat. When the Pitcher wound up, he took off, becoming the second ever Blue Jay to make a straight steal of home. He did this feat against Yankees pitcher, Andy Pettite. Unfortunately he received a very serious concussion in May of 2008 and was out for the rest of the season. He then returned for the 2009 season and has been on a streak that won’t quit. He is currently number 1 in the American League for hits with 56 and second for total bases with 89. He has played in all of the games this year to date.

My hero currently lives in California and is next-door neighbors with teammate and center fielder for the Jays, Vernon Wells. He also has a home in Toronto for when the Toronto Blue Jays play home games.

Aaron Hill is important to me because of all of the challenges he had to overcome when his mom passed away. He had to come to terms with her death and almost quit baseball and sports forever. Thankfully, he fought back and worked harder than ever to succeed in life, not only for his mother, but also for himself, so that he could prove to himself that if he works hard he will accomplish his dreams. This is a great lesson to learn that everyone should learn and use in their lives every day. Every time he plays, he uplifts me by always trying his best and accomplishing great things by performing well in all games he plays. This, along continuing to live his dream in the MLB, inspires me to do my best and pass on the lesson to others so they can accomplish great things as well.