Allen Iverson

by Matt from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Iverson With the 76's (www.nba.com/gallery )

Allen Iverson was born June 7, 1975, in Hampton, Virginia. He was given his mother's last name instead of his father's, who deserted the family. In school, he excelled at both basketball and football, but would end up focusing on basketball. He planned to go to college and attended Georgetown University, where coaching legend John Thompson took the street-tough Iverson under his wing.

In 1996, Allen Iverson was first overall draft pick for the Philedelphia 76ers. He had played with the Sixers up until 2006, when he was traded to the Denver Nuggets. He played with the Denver Nuggets for about two years until he was traded to the Detroit Pistons. He has played 682 games and scored 19,115 points in his career as a total. He was named 2001 NBA MVP and has played a total of 10 NBA seasons.

Some people say Allen Iverson is a disgrace. I don't believe this. I think it is wrong and that everyone should have a hero. Allen Iverson is my hero - no matter what. I don't think that anyone should have their hero ridiculed or made fun of because of mistakes that they have made in the past. I think that Allen Iverson plays for fun and I believe that he is a great man who does many special things for society as a whole. He has held charity events and donated much of his earnings to charity. Although he has made some mistakes, he is still a great man and an awesome basketball player.

Allen Iverson is my hero because in a game he never gives up and never gives in to his fears. One way that my class can honour Allen Iverson is to play basketball for a full day in his honor.

The Crossover Foundation - Helping kids in inner cities