Anastasia Liukin

by Richa from DesPlaines, Illinois

Anastia Liukin (www.voanews.com)
Anastia Liukin (www.voanews.com)

This girl was only six when she started the balancing art of gymnastics. I'm talking about Anastasia Liukin but her nickname is Nastia. She was born in Moscow Russia, on October 30, 1989. Her parents are Valeri and Anna Liukin. She also has a sister and she's a gymnast too. Her dad is her coach and both of her parents were champion gymnasts in the Soviet Union. How cool is that? Now Nastia is living as a 19 year old Olympic Champion.

Even though Nastia is famous, she still goes to school like any other kid. She was accepted into South University in Dallas, Texas. In the summer she put aside school because of the juggling back and fourth state to state. Nastia wishes to pursue a career in international business or acting. It must be hard to be a gymnast and actor at the same time.

Of course, Nastia's number one hobby is gymnastics. She works very very hard to be a gymnast. She works for six days a week, seven hours a day. That's a lot of work! She must be very tired. She was in the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics.

Anastia won a medal (www.longines.com)
Anastia won a medal (www.longines.com)

Nastia became an elite gymnast when she was only 11 years old. She is an awesome gymnast. She won a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, over the defending champion, China. Nastia has won over 9 medals in the past three years.

Even though she isn't someone from history, Nastia Liukin is still my hero because she is the best gymnast ever to me, and she is why I know so much about gymnastics and love it. I know it's going to take a lot of work but I really wish I could be like her one day.

Wikipedia - For more about "Nastia" Liukin