Aimee Mullins

by Jim from Yale

Aimee Mullins is an amazing athlete and an even more outstanding survivor. She was born without fibulae (the bones in your shin) and was told she would be in a wheelchair all her life. Her doctors gave her a fighting chance when, on Aimee's first birthday, they amputated her legs below the knee. She learned to walk and eventually run on prosthetics and amazed and continues to amaze everyone around her.

Growing up in Count Clare Ireland, Aimee was involved in all the normal childhood activities. She swam, skied, and even ran track in high school. Aimee went on to become an NCAA college athlete and compete on the nationally ranked, division 1, Georgetown University track team. In 1996 Aimee competed in the paralympic games running the 100- and 200- meter dash and jumping in the long jump. She set records in all three events.

Alexander McQueen invited Aimee to appear in his world renowned fashion show. McQueen designed a pair of intricately carved wooden legs that she wore in the show. She took to the runway with a confidence rarely seen.

After her fashion model debut she appeared as the "Leapord Queen" in Mathew Barney's Cremaster 3. She is still currently working with Barney as "Isis" in his newest film.

Although being born without shins and later having no legs below the knee, Aimee Mullins is an aspiring actress, fashion model, motivational speaker, and an inspiration to millions. She has set records in track and has stolen the hearts of millions of people around the world.

Welcome to my page about Aimee Mullins. She is my hero because she is an outstanding athlete and an even greater survivor.