Albert Pujols

by Abel from Lawrence

( ())
( ())

Most people know Albert Pujols as a baseball player and that's what he is most known for. While his baseball career is undeniably incredible, you have to wonder who the man is behind all of that power and the equally impressive offensive and defensive games. He is the baseball player I would want to be.

Albert Pujols had a very poor family, he was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic January 16, 1980. Albert's mom and dad divorced when he was small and he never had a chance to meet his mom. He lived with his dad, and being a son of an alcoholic wasn't very easy either. Albert had to carry his dad home on nights that Bienvenido (his dad) would be drunk. To play baseball, young Albert had to walk to the nearest ball park that was nearly 7 miles from his house. Albert and his family immigrated to the United States, in 1996. Pujols immediately fell in love with the game of baseball.  Baseball was life for Albert.

Albert and his family ( ())
Albert and his family ( ())

Albert Pujols met his wife Deidre at a Latin dance club in Kansas city 1999. Being that Albert was 18 years old at the time and Deidre was 21 years of age, he loved Deidre so much he lied about his age to get a date with her. Before dating Deidre, Deidre had a baby girl named Isabella. Right when she saw the baby, Deidre knew Isabella was diagnosed with down syndrome. It was then that Deidre told Albert that she had an infant child, and that the baby had down syndrome. Deidre said "I wanted him to understand my situation completely." Half expecting to hear from Albert again, Deidre was amazed when he opened his heart to both mother and child. Albert said he would embrace Isabella as his own. After this, Albert and Deidre continued their relationship having Albert Jr. and Sophia. They both started the Pujols foundation which seeks to enrich lives of families that include someone diagnosed with down syndrome.

Albert Pujols' personal life and professional life are outstanding.  Wanting to be like Albert Pujols makes me a better person. He is a great role model to young ball players and even to people who don't play sports.  He came from a country that's poor, playing baseball with a stick as a bat and tape for a ball. He has improved his game throughout high school and through the pros. In high school he drew much attention, hitting at an average of .500! Albert had the biggest bat in high school, meaning he was the best hitter. Later, Albert signed for the minor leagues and his outstanding performance in the minors led him to the Major leagues, playing for the St. Louis Cardinals. Albert won the Major League's player of the year award in 2003, 2008, and 2009. Later, he won NL mvp in 2005, 2008, and in 2009. Finally Albert led the Cardinals to win the World Series in 2006 and 2011. Who wouldn't want to meet, or be  this wonderful man?