Albert Pujols

by Cory from St. Clair

(Google)
(Google)

Albert Pujols is one of the Major League's leading baseball players. Albert joined the St. Louis Cardinals in 1999. He was selected in the thirteenth round of the 1999 free agent draft and is now one of the most feared batters in Major League Baseball. He has won countless awards and has even founded an organization for kids.

Albert was born on January 16, 1980.  He is currently 31 years of age. He was born in Santo Domingo, but he and his family migrated to the United States of American in 1996, when he was only sixteen. He attended Fort Osage High School in Independence, Missouri. He earned a baseball scholarship and attended Maple Woods Community College in Kansas City, before being drafted to the St. Louis Cardinals in 1999.

(Google)
(Google)

Albert is a valuable player to the Cardinals; he is first basemen but can also ply left field and third base. He also is a very good batter.  His batting average this year is at 283. In his career he has hit 445 home runs, and 1329 RBIs. Also, he has many awards the most recent being; 2010 Gold Glove Award, First Basemen, 2010 Player of the Month Award, 2010 Silver Slugger Award, National League, and 2011 Player of the Week Award.

The Pujols Family Foundation was founded in 2005. This organization was set up to help three different groups of people. People with Down syndrome, people who are disabled or have life threatening illnesses, and also children and families living in impoverished conditions in the Dominican Republic. Albert is the founder and chairmen of this organization. The main event that encouraged him and his wife to start this foundation is his wife’s daughter who has Down syndrome.

Many people idolize Pujols because he is an awesome baseball player. Albert is my hero not only for the fact that he is a good baseball player, but also for the fact he created a Family Foundation. I think it is really cool and inspiring that he has gone out of his way to help a lot of people. When I get older, I hope I can do something like he has done for so many people.

JockBio.com - For more about Albert Pujols.
Baseball Reference - For Albert Pujols' stats.
Pujols Family Foundation - For more about the good work of Albert Pujols and family.