Alex Rodriguez

by Samantha from Selden, New York

What people don’t realize is that regular, ordinary people can be heroes also. A hero is somebody that inspires you to do something or someone you look up to. In my case, Alex Rodriguez is my hero. Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez was born July 27, 1975 in New York. His nickname is A-Rod. Alex is an American third baseman for the New York Yankees. He is best known as a power-hitting third baseman for the New York Yankees baseball club, after having played shortstop for the Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers.

Alex is my hero because he taught me and many people to never give up on our dreams or anything we do. He's a very generous man that donated 200,000 dollars to the Boys and Girls club of America. After all the bad times in his life, he never gave up. Alex Rodriguez signed a 10-year, $252 million contract with the Texas Rangers in 2000, making him the highest-salaried player in professional sports history. Alex played his first major league baseball game at age 18 and became the starting shortstop for the Seattle Mariners at age 20.

Alex Rodriguez
Alex Rodriguez

When Alex was a child he admired baseball he’s been playing baseball all his life. Alex had a great life until he turned 8 years old. When Alex turned 8 his family had to move because business wasn’t doing well for his father's shoe store. They had to sell their house.

When Alex was younger he admired two people. The first person was Leonardo Da Vinci. Alex thought of him as a hero because he was an artist, mathematician and scientist. When Alex was young he had a painting of Leonardo’s famous painting Mona Lisa. The second person was Cal Ripkin jr. He was shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles. His nickname was Iron Man.