Abraham Lincoln

by Doug from Sycamore Junior High

Abraham Lincoln (www.historyplace.com/. ../port-linc.jpg)

If someone does something amazing to save someone or win a contest are they a hero or an ordinary person? During Abraham Lincoln’s presidency he worked on saving the slaves from slavery. Abraham Lincoln’s hard work turned into a war that eventually freed the slaves.

Abraham Lincoln was born Feb. 12, 1809 in Hardin County, Kentucky. He was the President from 1860-1865. Abraham Lincoln believed that slavery was wrong so on January 1, 1863, Abraham Lincoln presented the Emancipation Proclamation which would free the slaves from the Confederacy. Many slave owners were very angry about what he did and in the end things couldn’t be settled and the Confederacy wanted to secede from the Union so the Civil War began.

On April 14, 1865, Abraham Lincoln was shot in the head by John Wilkes Booth who believed that he was helping the Confederacy. Abraham Lincoln died the following morning after he got shot at 7:22 A.M on April 15. During the month of May, the rest of the Confederate soldiers surrendered to the Union and the slaves were freed.

Abraham Lincoln was a hero Near and Far. Lincoln was a hero Near because he ended slavery in the United States. He was a hero Far because the demand for slaves was a lot lower so not as many Africans were separated from their families. Lincoln is also a hero for all time because, since he freed the slaves, there has been no slavery in the United States.

In the end, Abraham Lincoln did do something amazing. Even though he was the President he was still just an ordinary person who saved the lives of possibly millions by standing up for what he believed. But if it wasn't for others with the belief that every one is equal, he would have never accomplished what he did in the Civil War and the slaves might still be in their chains.

www.civilwar.com - Civil war and abraham lincoln dates and information
www.whitehouse.gov - information on lincoln

"Civil War." www.civilwar.com. 07 Oct. 2005 . "Biography of Abraham Lincoln." www.whitehouse.gov. 07 Oct. 2005 .