Abraham Lincoln

by Lindsay from Spokane

Formal Picture of Ab Lincoln (From the U.S. President Website)

“I was born February 12, 1809, in Hardin County, Kentucky. My parents were both born in Virginia, of undistinguished families - - second families, perhaps I should say. My mother who died in my tenth year, was of family of the name of Hanks…My father… removed from Kentucky to… Indiana, in my eighth year… It was a wild region, with many bears and other wild animals still in the woods. There I grew up…Of course when I came of age I did not know much. Still somehow, I could read, write, and cipher… but that was all (White House, 2007, p.1).” -Abraham Lincoln
This direct quote from Abraham Lincoln gives a person some insight to what his earlier life was like. Despite growing up in poverty Lincoln did great things. He rose above the rest and gained an active role in politics.

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

His first competition for a position of office was against Stephen A. Douglas for Senator (White House, 2007, p.1). Despite losing the election, Lincoln gained much attention because of his very competitive debating skills (White House, 2007, p.1). From this attention Lincoln gained popularity that won him the election of 1860 (White House, 2007, p.1). During his time in the office, as the sixteenth president of the United States the, Civil War began. During this rocky time, Lincoln took a firm stance against slavery. His biggest decision was in the final proclamation of January 1, 1863, which stated that blacks had the right to enroll in the army (Washington D.C., 2007, p. 2). During the 1864 election, Lincoln authorized the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, while McClellan (his opponent) wished to return the South to its original ways (Washington D.C., 2007, p. 2). This stance not only won Lincoln a second election, but it also changed the racial future for the United States forever (Washington D.C., 2007, p. 2). Lincoln’s abolishment of slavery was a huge victory, but also led to his assassination. He was killed April 14, 1865 by a man by the name of John Wilkes Booth at Ford’s Theatre in Washington (White House, 2007, p.2). Apparently, this man became extremely irritated with the president and thought that he was helping the south in the Civil War. This unfortunate tragedy cut short a great man’s life.

Abraham Lincoln did a number of great things for the United States, but the abolishment of slavery definitely stands out amongst the rest. By going against what many U.S. citizens believed to be right, Abraham Lincoln made a change for the better. He gave the African-American people in our country rights that they deserved. In my eyes, Lincoln put an end to a large portion of inhumane actions and abuse that was taking place in the United States. The most amazing part about Abraham Lincoln’s history is that he was not born into money or of high stature. He was born into a poverty stricken world, and he had to work very hard for what he accomplished. Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he is proof that a hard work ethic and determination can get you anywhere if you set your mind to it, no matter where you come from.

References: (2007). Abraham Lincoln. Retrieved September 27, 2007, from Washington website:http://sc94.ameslab.gov/TOUR/alincoln.html