Abigail Adams

by Paige from El Morro

Abigail Adams
Abigail Adams

Abigail Adams was born in Weymouth, Massachusetts on Nov. 11, 1744. She was born very sick and most thought she would not live, but she did. She never had a formal education and she lacked this when she was older. Though she did learn to read and read the books in he father’s huge library. She had two sisters and one brother. Her father was William Smith and he was a congregational minister. Her mother was Elizabeth Quincy Smith. Abigail’s occupation was a mother and First Lady of the United States

When Abigail married John Adams they lived in Braintree (Quincy) Massachusetts. Later on in her life she lived in Boston, Mass. and then the White House.

She helped with the patriot cause by writing letters to John when he was meeting with the Continental Congress in Philadelphia. In these letters to John she explained what was happening in Boston. In these letters she reminded him that the people in Boston were ready to start a war because they were tired of British tyranny. She reminded him of this because in Philadelphia most of the people were loyalists. Her letters were the only way John could get accurate information. She wrote these letters at home in the year of 1775 and 1776.

Abigail did not risk her life for patriotic causes. Her actions were heroic because it was hard for a woman alone, while her husband was away on political business, to run a farm, raise six children, and write accurate information to her husband in Philadelphia constantly. When I think of her I think of her as First Lady and a dedicated woman to our country and to her husband. She died on October 28, 1818 from typhus fever.