Alex

by Jasmine, Phebe, Angel and Mia from Taipei

the syrian boy (http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/20/middleeast/syria ())

This summer, the world was shocked by a photo which sat a Syrian boy named Omran in an ambulance. His face was covered with dust, blood, and hurts. After seeing this, another boy named Alex wrote a letter to the president Obama. He is just 6 years old and lives outside New York City with his families. As Malala Yousafzai says," One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world. " The strength of words can be stronger than the power of weapons, and children can be more powerful than adults.

The words below are the letter from Alex to Obama:

Dear President Obama,
Remember the boy who was picked up by the ambulance in Syria? Can you please go get him and bring him to park in the drive way or on the street and we'll be waiting for you guys with flags, flowers and balloons. We will give him a family and he will be our brother. Catherine, my little sister will be collecting butterflies and fireflies for him. In my school I have a friend from Syria, Omran, and I will introduce to Omran and we can all play together. We can invite him to birthday parties and he will teach us another language. We can teach him English too, just like we taught my friend Aoto from Japan. Please tell him his brother will be Alex who is a very kind boy, just like him. Since he won't bring toys and doesn't have toys, Catherine will share her big blue stripy white bunny. And I will share my bike and I will teach him how to ride it. I will teach him addition and subtraction in math. Thank you very much! I can't wait for you to come!

President Obama is also touched by Alex. Here is his reply:

Alex is just six years old. He lives in Scarsdale, New York. Last month, like people around the world, he was moved by the heartbreaking images of Omran Daqneesh, a five-year-old boy in Aleppo, Syria, sitting in an ambulance, in shock as he tried to wipe the blood from his hands. So Alex sat down and wrote me a letter. This week at a United Nations summit on refugees, I shared Alex's moving words with the world. Alex told me that he wanted Omran to come live with him and his family. He wanted to share his bike, and teach him how to ride. He said his little sister would collect butterflies for him. "We can all play together," he wrote. "We will give him a family and he will be our brother. Those are the words of a six-year-old boy -- a young child who has not learned to be cynical or suspicious or fearful of other people because of where they come from, how they look, or how they pray. We should all be more like Alex. Imagine what the world would look like if we were. Imagine the suffering we could ease and the lives we could save. Listen to Alex, read his letter, and I think you'll understand why I shared it with the world.

Our afterthoughts:

Mia: I think we are very happy because we were born in Taiwan, we do not have to fear the war break out, and in some places, People can't go to school. War brings a lot of pain, and does not necessarily solve the problem. Maybe we can use the peaceful way to solve those problems, like what Alex did.He is a model that we should learn from him.

Phebe: Alex is brave, intelligent, and kind. After seeing the picture, many people feel sad about the Syrian boy, but not so many people did things for him. I really admire Alex because he is just six and has done a really great thing that touched President Obama. I think I need to learn more from him just like what Obama has said.

Jasmine: Our project is "Heroes in The News," and our main character is Alex, which was only a 6 year old boy, try to save a Syrian boy form war. I've seen the picture of the Syrian boy before, and I was shocked by the picture, I didn't know the power wars do to people, especially children. After reading the report, I felt that Alex is a kind person, he used his way to change the world. Alex's letter made many adults rethought the meaning of war, even president Obama did a speech for this. Alex is just a child, but he can still be a hero.

Angel: After reading Alex's story, I think he is a really kind boy. He's kindness is not just for his friends or his families, he also gives love, be kind to the people he has never known. I learn that although we are just kids or teenagers now, we can also help other people with our love.

BBC News - News
Obama''s facebook - social media