Alexandra

by Catherine from New York

To me, a hero is someone I can look up to in many ways, someone who is inspirational, trustworthy, and respected by many people around him or her. My Hero is my sister, Alexandra. She is someone who is all of these things and more. She is always there for me, and I can count on her to listen to me and try to give me the best advice possible.

When my sister was very young, my parents were trying to get their papers so they could live in America with a better lifestyle. My parents had to leave my sister and brother in Ecuador in the care of my grandparents. My sister went six long years without them, and she suffered a lot. My sister is inspirational because of this suffering. Now, she looks back and thinks that it was all worth it, even though at that age, it can be very difficult to be left by your mother.

In addition to being inspirational, my sister is also trustworthy. To me, a trustworthy person listens to you when you need someone to listen, and will give you advice if you ask for it. When I have problems, or I just need to tell her something, she is open ears. She also cares a lot about me, and doesn’t want anything bad happen to me. If my parents and I argue, and I get angry when they try to prove me wrong, I go to my sister. She tells me that I have to listen to them, because they are my parents, and they are older and wiser. After I talk to her, I feel much more confident and better about myself.

My sister and I have many secrets that we both share with each other. Whether it is in our rooms, or in the car, we talk about what has happened that day. Then, one of us comes out with a secret to tell the other, because we can trust one another. Sometimes, when we go out to eat by ourselves, we tell each other secrets and what we did that day.

Most sisters argue and only sometimes get along, but it’s a whole different story with my sister. My sister and I basically never fight; we just tell each other whatever is on our minds. She is like a best friend who will be by my side, or is just a phone call away.