Alexandra Ellis

by Jennarose from Palmer

“Do heroes still exist?” For some of us no, and some of us don’t know yet. I was one of those people that couldn’t find a hero, but I looked deep inside and understood that my hero was right in front of me. That hero was my mom. We live in Palmer, Massachusetts. What characteristics does it take to become a hero? The characteristics that my mom has are courage, love, spirit, and she’s inspirational and passionate.

Some people say “Good things come in small packages.” That’s what my mom was trying to deliver to our family, a baby. We had some tough times in our family. Our grandpa died on February 15, 2005 from a heart attack when he was watching Wheel of Fortune. We were all hoping that a new member to our family will change our lives, and we can finally be happy. So we went for it and hoped that my mom’s dream and ours will come true.

My mom took a pregnancy test after test but nothing. I lost hope, but my mom’s spirit helped me see the best of things. She told me to never give up or lose hope, and after that my hope grew. A month later, my mom took one more test and the results where clear, she was pregnant. We were all so happy. I now know that you should never give up no matter what kind of situation you’re in. As you know, my mom’s hope and spirit lifted us to believe.

A couple days went by and I couldn’t wait any longer to see that baby. Days grew older and at times, the baby didn’t move so my mom had to go to the doctor’s to check on the baby. When she came home, I saw drops of tears running down her checks. The baby was gone. After all we went through to have another baby, the baby just died and we can’t do anything about it. As a result, even with the best of hope dreams don’t come true, but that doesn’t mean you should give up.

We did the same thing again and hoped that we could hear the heart beat of the baby once again, but nothing. My mom planned to have another baby wishing that our prayers will come true, and they did. She is pregnant once again. Later that month, we all went to the doctor’s office knowing that it can’t be too late. Months went by, the baby grew older and stronger, and my mom was in great pain. I know deep in my heart that because of my mom’s great passion and courage that we’ll get through it.

While my mom was in labor, we were all tired and we all sat in the emergency room waiting till the baby was born. Later that morning, I awoke to sounds of shuffling feet and crying. The baby’s heart rate is going down; the baby had to come out. The doctor told my mom that there’s not much they can do. The only option is to have an emergency C section. At that time, my mom’s passion and courage stood out. She wasn’t going to let emergency C section get to her. She loved that baby to much to let it go. One can see that with the passion, love, courage, and spirit my mom displayed.

From that day forward, my mom’s spirit, courage, love, and passion affected my life forever. She inspired me to grow up to be like her. I will never be the same. Keep looking and someday your hero will show up, and all you have to do is keep looking and never give up.

M-O-T-H-E-R

"M" is for the million things she gave me,

"O" means only that she's growing old,

"T" is for the tears she shed to save me,

"H" is for her heart of purest gold;

"E" is for her eyes, with love-light shining,

"R" means right, and right she'll always be,

Put them all together, they spell "MOTHER,"

A word that means the world to me.

Motherhood poem
Howard Johnson, songwriter - Composer of "MOTHER" (1915)