Agustina

by Delfina from Buenos Aires

To be a hero you have to be courageous, helpful, nice, fair and reliable, that is why I chose my elder sister as an everyday heroine. She has all those qualities, and as I go on you will realise why.

Yesterday (28/9/06) it was her 16th birthday and today it is my mother’s birthday, so I have always said that she was a present from God for my mother. As you have realised she is just sixteen years old, but everyone can be a hero. Her name is Agustina. This person is important to me, because everyday she demonstrates to me how a good person acts in our daily lives.

She had never made something “really” heroic, because for example you don’t have to save other people’s lives to be a hero, everyone is a hero deep inside oneself, but not everyone knows how to demostrate it. My sister knows how to do it. We make a lot of things together such as practicing snowboard, tennis and other sports, and she always takes care of me because she loves me as I love her. Really the most heroic action she has done is to love me. Sometimes when we are in the street she helps blind people cross the street, or in the train she lets pregnant women or elder people sit down. Those are just minimum details, but those details can be a big help for other people. I am really proud of my sister.

This year we read a book called “Number the Stars”, by Lois Lowry. In that book there was a girl who was a heroine because she saved her Jewish best friend from being killed by the Nazis. I think that the heroine from that book and my sister can be compared because they both help others, one by saving a life and my sister by making me and other people happier and better persons.

I think that my life without my sister wouldn’t make any sense and I wouldn’t have pieces of advice to become a better person. She is my role model and my biggest aim is to be like her. I am very lucky to have her as a sister and I will take this great advantage to learn from her.