Barbara Anne Alken

by Juanmartin from Medellin

Miss Alken From The Columbus School-Medellín-Colombia-Elementary principal-by Juan Martín

Barbara Anne Alken is an elementary school principal; she’s known as Miss Alken. Before she became a principal, she worked as a teacher in different schools. She became a principal because she liked to work with teachers and spend more time with kids. Miss Alken studied in 2 universities in Canada.

Before coming to the Columbus School Medellín Colombia, she worked as a waitress at a restaurant, at a Hospital, at a jewelry store, and at 4 different schools. She has worked 6 years at The Columbus School. Miss Alken said, “My good days are when I can visit all classes, and my bad days are when the children don’t tell the truth.”

Back when Miss Alken was 19 or 20, she worked at Sunday school classes so she thought, “I should get a job like this.” She liked to work with kids and that was why Miss Alken became a teacher. Miss Alken’s personal hero is her Opa (Grandpa). He was 96 when he died. He lived though the 1st and 2nd world wars, and fought in both. The Columbus School is lucky to have a super cool elementary principal!