Ben Carson

by Sunny

This is Ben Carson (http://www.christianpost.com/news/neurosurgeon-ben (Leonardo Blair ))

My hero is Ben Carson because of his heroic and inspiring acts. Ben was very poor in in his childhood and really did not live in the best role model society. To add to that, he was always made fun of in elementary school, especially in fifth grade where he was officially given the title of the dumbest kid in the class by his discouraging teacher and classmates. Ben always dreamed at night of being one of those people in the hospital you thank for saving your loved one. Ben specifically wanted to specialize in the fields of neurosurgery (brain surgery). This seemed impossible to achieve to young Ben and, at the time, his current problem was learning as well as the others in his class. This dream was achieved thanks to his mother for making Ben work day and night on his blind spots in his education, which was frankly was in every school subject at the time. Ben's mother helped him in many ways. One of them being making Ben and his brother read two books a week and write an essay for each at the end of the week. In time, Ben got straight "A"s and was able to be accepted to any college he wanted; that helped his dream to become a reality. These are a few of the many inspiring tales of how Ben Carson became my and many others' hero in this essay.

Ben has a very important characteristic for hero of never giving up. Ben demonstrates this trait because he went from being considered the dumbest kid in fifth grade to honor roll in every class. Ben was also born in a very bad neighborhood and with a family who did not really have a lot of money. This never stopped Ben because he worked through it all and became what he wanted the most, a neurosurgeon. When Ben made ground breaking surgeries that were never known to be possible in medical science, it just gives more reason of why Ben should be called a hero who never gives up. Ben never gave up on one kind of case where a patient was pretty much in a death sentence and was almost impossible to save at that time. Ben made many medical breakthroughs multiple times in his research to make this surgery a success. These are the reasons why I think Ben Carson is a hero that never gives up.

Another reason why I think Ben Carson is a hero is because he helps people in their time of need. Some examples of how Ben Carson helps people in their time of need is when he went all the way to Africa to help separate two conjoined twins. One of the most impressive acts of how Ben Carson helps people in their time of need is when he performed a successful surgery on a child who was shot in the head. Also, remember when this was performed medical science was not as advanced as it is today, so besides the fact he saved a child's life, he also made several breakthroughs. The child is now a normal 15 year old living a life with no disabilities. Looking past the astounding surgeries, Ben also helped many depressed people with his stunning books he wrote. The books he wrote helped people to look past any predicament they were in. These books were nominated for prestigious awards for helping thousands of people who were in deep depression. That just goes to show how far Ben Carson has gone to help people in their time of need. That's why I think Ben Carson shows a real example of how we should treat other in the best way we can.

My final reason why I think Ben Carson deserves the trait of hero is because he is inspiring. I think Ben is inspiring because he wrote several books that helped many depressed people. Ben specifically gave examples of how he lived a poor life and came out with honors in many subjects and working his fantasy job in his books. Those examples he explained in his books were basically saying if he could become successful so could anyone else who puts in the determination and effort. Another reason why he is inspiring to me is that when he was in his teens he dreamed and fantasized about being someone in the magazine that you actually remember. Ben met the president because he was being awarded with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. My last explanation of why I think Ben Carson is inspiring because he went past the fact that other surgeons could match him in his fields of work and excelled past all of them. All of these qualities make up my and many others hero, Ben Carson.

A hero does not need to be famous and rich to be a hero. A hero to me is a person who helps people more than the average Joe. Ben is a hero who goes above and beyond what someone would expect him to do. Ben Carson showed several of these acts when he performed a successful surgery on a child who was shot in the head that was certain to be dead but still he did not give in or doubt himself at any moment. Another reason that Ben is a hero is when he performed a successful surgery on conjoined twins in Africa . He didn't have to do what he did but he still did because that is the kind of hero Ben Carson is. That is what I personally look for in hero and that is why I picked Ben Carson as my hero.

Biography.com . "Ben Carson Biography ." [Online] Available http://www.biography.com/people/ben-carson-475422#awesm=~oDFQFbTVrykS3S.

Children’s Center , Johns Hopkins . "Hopkins Surgeon Ben Carson Receives Medal of Freedom." [Online] Available https://www.hopkinschildrens.org/hopkins-surgeon-ben-carson-receives-medal-of-freedom.aspx.