Ben Carson

by Ryan from San Diego

Ben Carson (http://www.motherjones.com ())

Who would have ever guessed that an African American boy who grew up in the slums of Detroit would become one of the most skilled neurosurgeons in the world, famed for separating conjoined twins. Ben Carson grew up in a rough part of town in Detroit, Michigan, with a single mother and his older brother, Curtis.  They lived in poverty, and Ben struggled with his hot-headed temper throughout his childhood. He barely knew how to read, and in middle school, his grades would not have been acceptable to most parents today. He flunked most of his classes until his mom, uneducated herself, taught him the power of reading and that he should strive for excellence. As a neurosurgeon, Ben Carson collected many awards and accomplishments; however, his accomplishments never ended when he retired. Ben Carson set up a charity to help kids receive scholarships for a college education, and today he works as the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Through his determination and hard work on and off the job, Ben Carson is determined to improve the lives of others, and this makes him an inspiration to all generations.

Despite not being at the top of his class or growing up in a good, safe community, Ben Carson's determination for success led him to accomplish his goals and achieve more out of life. This determination has earned him multiple awards and medals. Carson fulfilled his dreams not only as a neurosurgeon, but also as someone who was determined to give back to his community and help others around the world. At a young age Ben Carson struggled with school until his mom limited his TV time and made Ben and his brother read two books a week and write a book report. "Carson became an avid reader, and his grades steadily improved until he was near the top of his class.¨ ("Benjamin Carson"). Ben Carson was often ridiculed in class before he discovered the power of reading. At that moment in his life, he realized that he could be anybody, do anything, go anywhere by just reading and striving to always learn more. His determination for success and his new power of books led him to Yale University and taught him the life lesson of never giving up. Now that Ben Carson has finished his Career as a surgeon, he has dedicated his life to giving back to not only his community, but to kids around the world. Ben Carson started a charity that gives kids around the world scholarships to college, and now he can proudly say, "Through the generosity of our donors and partners, we are now able to award more than 500 scholarships annually. In total, we have awarded more than 7,300 scholarships across the country. More than 2,000 Carson Scholars have been recognized for their academic and humanitarian achievements in multiple years" ("Carson Scholars"). Ben Carson's goal is to help the children by funding them with scholarships, and with his determination toward his charity, he has "raised over 4.7 million dollars in scholarships to help fund education" ("Carson Scholars").  Not only did he use the money to fund scholarships, but he also went to his hometown of Detroit to build reading centers to inspire kids that were just like him. Ultimately it was Ben Carson's determination to help others and to be the best that he could be that led him to accomplishing his goals and being a true hero in many people's eyes.  

Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush (http://www.theblaze.com ())

Ben Carson has never stopped trying to help others and change their lives, and because he is so passionate all of his hard work has helped numerous people and has paid off overall. For example, he was the recipient of the Medal of Honor: "The award, the nation's highest civilian honor, is given to those who have made exceptional contributions to the security or national interest of the United States, world peace, or other private or public accomplishment" ("Dr.Ben Carson"). Ben Carson's backbreaking work surely hasn't gone unnoticed because his hard work has led him to receive the highest civilian award possible. Amongst all of the possible contestants, Ben Carson was seen as the most honorable throughout the whole United States! Many people observed Ben Carson as a person who never gives up and someone who strives for the best. Ben Carson lives by the motto, as he said in one of his famous books, Gifted Hands, "Success is determined not by whether or not you face obstacles, but by your reaction to them. And if you look at these obstacles as a containing fence, they become your excuse for failure. If you look at them as a hurdle, each one strengthens you for the next" (Gifted Hands 20). Instead of seeing obstacles as setbacks, he uses them to propel himself forward and to strengthen himself through his hard work. Ben Carson has faced struggles his whole life, but every time he has hit a brick wall, he finds a way to overcome his problem. By living with these standards,  he has created a life of joy and happiness for himself. Even with doubt and racism trailing him wherever he has gone, Ben Carson has paved his own way to success. In addition to having the drive and determination for success, Ben Carson has put his hard work to good use and for that he is considered a hero.

Carson Scholars Fund (http://carsonscholars.org ())

Ben Carson is a true inspiration who has changed the lives of many people through his determination and hard work as a neurosurgeon and the Secretary of State for Urban Development. Through Ben Carson's journey through life, he has faced many setbacks, such as discrimination and poverty but his determination to succeed and his hard work ethic has helped him overcome the challenges.  "Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan, to Robert and Sonya Carson. His parents divorced when he was eight years old, and he lived with his mother" ("Benjamin Carson"). "The Detroit native has received numerous awards and published three books. He is also a co-founder of a nonprofit organization with his wife, Candy, which offers college funding for hardworking youths" ("Dr. Ben Carson"). Ben Carson grew up in a drug infested criminal playpen, but he didn't let his past determine the outcome of his future. He overcame the challenges of  being racially discriminated against and despite growing up in poverty, he went to Yale University and became one of the best neurosurgeons in the world.  Ben Carson inspires me because in life you will face many setbacks; some will be minor, but others may be life changing. As long as one is willing to never give up and see those obstacles as opportunities to make oneself better, one can achieve anything in life. That is the mask of a true hero - the determination to succeed and a hard work ethic to not let anything stand in between oneself and his or her goals.

Ben Carson. "Impacting Children Across the US." Carson Scholars Fund, 305 W. Chesapeake

Avenue Suite 310,, 2017, http://carsonscholars.org/

Ben Carson, M.D. Gifted Hands. Cecil Murphey, Review and Herald, 1990.

"Benjamin Carson." Scientists: Their Lives and Works, UXL, 2006. Biography in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2641500031/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=1d09b93e.

Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.

"Dr. Ben Carson receives Presidential Medal of Honor." Jet, 30 June 2008, p. 12. Biography in

Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A180946837/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=a8e17116. Accessed 29 Apr. 2017.

Ben Carson Scholars Funds - Ben Carson''''s charity that provides kids with scholarships
Ben Carson - Ben Carson and his journey through life
Ben Carson Surgery - Ben Carson''''s famous operation on conjoined twins
Gifted Hands By: Ben Carson - Ben Carson''s book Gifted Hands for purchase on Amazon.com