Health

Dr. Ben Carson

by Grace from Roseville

"If we develop in-depth knowledge, it will enable us to give our best to others and make a better world."-Ben Carson

From poor and poverty to riches and success, Ben Carson, one of the most superlative neurosurgeons in the world, worked hard to gain prosperity in his life and, fortunately, succeeded. Ben Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan on September 18, 1951. Little did he know he was going to amount to something important, though. In fact, during his whole childhood, he was barely making his way through life, with his hard-working mother and brother. Ben rose up from the ashes and pushed his way to the top with his knowledge, bravery, and perseverance.

Ben Carson is a very intelligent person, even though he was just the opposite in his early childhood. Actually, his classmates had always discouraged him by proclaiming he was "dumb." Ben soon came to believe this, and was dejected. Fortunately, his mom stepped in, finding Ben's grades unacceptable. In the movie made after Ben Carson's book, Gifted Hands, his mother made some principles in their household. "You're going to go to the library and pick out two books, and at the end of the week you're going to hand me a written report about what you read." Ben Carson's mother helps Ben take the next step toward intelligence. He soon learns that everyone, including him, can be smart, and he finds great passion in reading and writing. Though Ben was at first appalled my his mother's superfluous rule, he rose up to success and graduated with honors, going to Harvard.

"If we develop in-depth knowledge, it will enable us to give our best to others and make a better world." Ben Carson states this quote, explaining the importance of knowledge. What he means is if everyone is knowledgeable to their fullest potential, then we are able to make more of a contribution to the world, therefore, making a better world. Ben Carson is inspiring because, despite the likeliness of him turning out to be an unaccomplished person from his previous grade school years, he ignored it all and worked extremely hard to become eminent.

In addition to his intelligence, Ben Carson is a very brave person. One of the things he is most famous for is his operation on separating seven month old, conjoined twins in 1987 at John Hopkins Hospital, where he worked. They were attached at the head, and a surgery like that head never been accomplished before. "even if you fail, at least you did something," said Ben Carson's mother in the movie "Gifted Hands." She stated this, trying to push Ben to operate on the twins. Ben realizes the only thing he can do is try his best, because that is all anyone wants from him. Fortunately, the operation is a success and is the first of its kind. Because of Ben Carson's courage, he saved a pair of twins from a life of obstacles, and made neuroscience history.

"If someone is going to die anyway without an operation, then you have nothing to lose by trying," said Ben Carson in his book, Gifted Hands. This is the reason he performs such perilous operations on people, because if he does not, they may either die in pain or live a life of anguish. Ben Carson's courage is inspiring because, even though the precariousness, he still tries, and that is what makes him a hero.

Lastly, Dr. Ben Carson has lots of perseverance. His tenacity is used in just about every hardship he has undergone in his life, but a memorable occasion in which he did something despite the difficulty was when he illegally did brain surgery on someone in an emergency, when all of the doctors were gone. "If someone doesn't operate on this man soon, he will die," said Dr. Carson. "Go for it," said nurse Smith. This conversation was said in the movie "Gifted Hands." Dr. Carson does, in fact, go for it, perseveres through the process, and ends up being successful. Ben rose up and used his determination to complete this strenuous task.

"Successful people don't have fewer problems. They have determined that nothing will stop them from going forward." Ben Carson says this, explaining how in order to be prosperous, you must persevere and let nothing get in your way. Furthermore, this is inspiring because Ben Carson gives an example of how being indomitable pays off.

Ben Carson is a very heroic person because he rose up from nothing and became successful by knowledge, bravery, and perseverance. Despite the 
arduousness, Ben Carson pushes on, knowing that it will all ameliorate. This is what makes Ben Carson one of the most industrious people I know. This is what makes him a hero.

wikipedia - Ben Carson Information
bio. - Ben Carson Information
Academy of Acheivement - Ben Carson Information

Ben's full name is Benjamin Solomon Carson.
University of Michigan Medical School was where Ben went to graduate school.
Ben's mother and father got a divorce at an early age, so his mother was the only parent he had.

In Detroit, Michigan on September 18, 1951, one of the greatest minds of the century was born.