Ben Carson

by Reyna from Fresno

"I thought I was really stupid. All my classmates and teachers agreed, and my nickname was Dummy."
Ben Carson
Ben Carson

Ben Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan in September 18, 1951. After graduating high school, Ben Carson attended Yale University where he earned a degree in Psychology. Then he studied neurosurgery when he went to the Medical School of the University of Michigan. Now he is Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University. He was also awarded with one of the highest civilian award in the United States, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, in 2008 by George W. Bush. Carson is considered as one of the best neurosurgeons in America because of his great accomplishments. Although Ben Carson has accomplished so much, it wasn't easy for him to get where he is now. He had to work very hard, even when he felt like giving up and quiting. All the hard work, pain, struggles, and sacrifices he had to go through has finally paid off. Now he is enjoying his life and doing what he loves to do.

It wasn't always an easy life for Ben Carson. He had one brother, a mom, and a dad. As a little boy, Carson's father abandoned him and his family for another family. He was very sad, but after a while he realized that his life was better off without him. That was just one of many obstacles he had to face. Another problem he had to overcome started when he entered school. He had a hard time learning when he was in elementary school and was considered a "dummy" by his classmates but also his teachers which made him develop a very terrible temper. When his mom found out about his low grades, she knew that she had to make a change in his life or else he would end up like her with little education. Ben Carson's mom then started limited his television watching and refused to let him play until he finished his homework. She also assigned him to read two books a week and write a report on it. Of course, like mostly all children, he hated doing this, but after a while he realized that books where the only way out of a miserable life.

Ben Carson has done so many inspiring things. He performed many operations that people thought couldn't be done. One of the most amazing and historic things that he has accomplished was when he successfully separated Siamese twins that were binded from the back of the head. He recalls saying," Why is this such a disaster? They can bleed to death." But this didn't stop Dr. Carson for preforming the surgery. After about 22 hours, Carson finished the surgery and now the twins are separated.

Ben Carson is an important person for me because he proved that whoever you are and where ever you come from you can still do what you put your mind to. Ben Carson did exactly this. He was born to a poor family and was called a dummy but is now one of the best neurosurgeons. Carson came from nothing but now has everything. This has changed my life because he has given me hope that I can do anything I want to because I am in control of my life. He has inspired me to do my best on everything even when times are tough. Carson has changed the way I view my life. He made me realize that education is the key to a great future and you should try your best to get there no matter what gets in your way.