Bill Gates

by Luke from DuBois

1. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.
Bill Gates (innovationsinnewspapers.com)

Bill Gates earns US$250 every SECOND, that’s about US$20 Million a DAY and US$7.8 Billion in a YEAR! Bill Gates’ wife was a former Microsoft executive. Her name is Melinda. He also has two kids, Jennifer Katherine, born in 1996, and Rory, born in 1999. Their house cost approximately $75 million to build.

Bill's House (historichomesinflorida.blogspot.com)

Bill became interested in computers when his school bought them. The computers were very early models. Bill met Allen and they both had a common interest. This interest was the interest in computers. Bill and Allen remained friends throughout high school and college.

Allen showed Bill an article about the new computer. This was the Altair 8800. It was a computer that could be built from a kit. Allen showed Bill the article because he wanted him to write a language for the Altair. The Altair was a computer affordable to most hobbyists.

Windows 7 (ctovision.com)
Windows 7 (ctovision.com)

In 1975, Gates and Allen created and founded the program Microsoft. They both quit their jobs and devoted their time to Microsoft. Microsoft was the program Bill and Allen created on the computer. They devoted all of their time to Microsoft because they both believed it would go big. They soon created the credo that has guided the company ever since: “A computer on every desk and in every home, all running Microsoft software.”

Other manufacturers created new and improved operating systems that could threaten Microsoft. That’s why Microsoft created Windows. They created Windows so they could stay on top. Microsoft didn’t want anybody to be better than them. After the first introduction in 1985, many upgrades would have followed. Sales went crazy in 1990 with Microsoft’s Windows 3.0, which sold nearly 5 million copies! That year, company sales reached $1 billion! Microsoft also created Windows 3.1 in 1992, Windows 95 in 1995, and Windows 98 in 1998.

Bill, when asked about his future, usually says he will work at Microsoft for another ten years. He also says he will be giving away money more than making it. He said,” Melinda and I have been spending more time working with our foundation as it enrages some interesting projects. I know I’ll spend more time on that later on. For now, though, Microsoft is my career, and I think I have the best job in the world.”