Bill Gates

by Lorenzo from San Diego

(http://www.achievement.org/achiever/william-h-gate ())

"Microsoft is not about greed. It's about innovation and fairness." This quote from Bill Gates depicts his own beliefs and virtues that inspire innumerable people worldwide. William Henry Gates III has earned recognition as a brilliant software developer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Attacking the most intractable global problems, he founded and runs the Gates Foundation, which funds charities relating to health and education. He was born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington. As an inquisitive child, he developed an early interest in computer science in the seventh grade. Gates entered Harvard University in 1973 and pursued his studies for the next year and a half. Eventually, he dropped out and co-founded the multibillion-dollar company,  Microsoft. He created popular software products such as MS-DOS and Windows and played a significant role in popularizing CD-ROM technology.  In the early 2000s, Gates turned his attention to philanthropy; he donated more than $24 billion to health and education causes. Gates displays the heroic trait of selflessness, which urges him to help and empathize others. He also possesses a subsequent determination, which he utilizes to pursue in what he believed in. Bill Gates' innovative and determined mindset combined with his selfless, philanthropic contributions is the reason why he inspires countless people across the globe.

(http://venturesafrica.com/the-road-to-philanthropy ())

Bill Gates exhibits selflessness and empathy because he shares his wealth and devotes his time to helping others. Turning his attention to philanthropy, Gates donates vast amounts of money towards pertinent causes relating to health and education: "Gates ... have endowed more than $24 billion for philanthropic causes. Of this amount, more than $2 billion has gone to global health initiatives, $500 million to improving learning opportunities, $200 million to community projects in the Pacific northwest, and $29 million to special projects and annual giving campaigns ("Bill Gates." Business)." Instead of using his hard-earned wealth for his own benefits, he bounteously donates a bulk of his salary towards philanthropic causes. His attitude towards global problems and his unselfish donations are crucial in making the world a better place and advancing our society as a whole. Consequently, through his selfless acts and generosity, countless people are living better lives. Gate's urgency to help others impels him to commit his time to preventing diseases: "Through the Foundation's efforts, half a billion children have been immunized since 2000, saving the lives of as many as seven million who might otherwise have died of infectious diseases  (American Academy of Achievement)." Gates expresses his compassion and commiseration to those who are suffering sickness and poverty. Because of his heroic ability to sympathize, he has dramatically improved the health of countless individuals and saved millions of lives. His continuous works and adherence towards his Foundation mark a positive difference in this world. Bill Gates is a hero for his selfless and altruistic deeds that helps create a better life for other people.

( http://www.achievement.org/achiever/william-h-gat ())

As a visionary, Bill Gates is persistent to work hard to revolutionize the world regarding computers and technology. His essential work in software and technology influences society in an innovative direction: "Cofounder of the Microsoft Corporation, one of the most successful companies in history, he created such popular software products as MS-DOS and Windows. He has also been instrumental in popularizing and promoting CD-ROM technology. As a major figure in the computer revolution of the 1980s and 1990s, Gates has helped make the PC a common and accessible household item ("Bill Gates." Scientists)." Gates pursued his belief that every business and household should have a computer; by using his technical and business aptitude, he devoted his energies towards Microsoft. With diligence and perseverance, Gates saw his vision become a reality and Microsoft became the largest software maker and one of the world's most valuable companies. His commitment and innovative mind have undoubtedly influenced the world to what we know it as today. Because of Gates' determination to follow his belief, technology became an essential component in our daily lives: "Bill Gates was a teenage computer whiz when he dropped out of Harvard to start his own company, Microsoft. Through a brilliant combination of technical prowess and business insight, Gates made Microsoft the indispensable supplier of operating systems and office software to computer users around the world. If you use a computer to write a letter, compose an email or visit a website, chances are you're using Microsoft software (American Academy of Achievement)." Bill Gates took a gamble to drop out of one of the world's most prestigious universities to pursue his business. His technical and business expertise combined with his zealous determination led him to his momentous success. He laid the groundwork for operating systems and software, which are commonly used and readily available today. Bill gates is a hero because of his innovative mentality coupled with his determination that has essentially shaped our modern world.

(https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/11/diana-ross-elle ())

Bill Gates is a hero because of his innovative and determined mindset accompanied with his selfless, philanthropic contributions. He plays a major role in revolutionizing technology and has bequeathed prodigious amounts of money to philanthropic causes, which saved millions of lives. Bill Gates is an inspiration to me and many others because of his willingness to contribute to society whether it is technology or philanthropy. He is an inspiration because he demonstrates an innovative, persistent mentality and a heroic ability to empathize for others. He earned recognition from around the world for his societal contributions: "In 2016, the contributions of Bill ... Gates to business, information technology, and international philanthropy were recognized with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor. The presidential awards citation, read in part, 'from helping women and girls lift themselves and their families out of poverty, to empowering young minds across America, [he has] transformed countless lives with [his] generosity and innovation. Bill ... Gates continue to inspire us with [his] impatient optimism, that together, we can remake the world as it should be (American Academy of Achievement).'"

Work Consulted

American Academy of Achievement. "William H. Gates III." Academy of Achievement, American Academy of Achievement, 2017, www.achievement.org/achiever/william-h-gates-iii/#biography. Accessed 3 May 2017.

"Bill Gates." Business Leader Profiles for Students, edited by Sheila Dow and Jaime E. Noce, vol. 2, Gale, 2002. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1604000264/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=b72d7d6f. Accessed 3 May 2017.

"Bill Gates." Gale Encyclopedia of E-Commerce, edited by Jane A. Malonis, Gale, 2002. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2428100023/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=d82e329f. Accessed 4 May 2017.

"Bill Gates." Scientists: Their Lives and Works, UXL, 2006. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2641500256/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=de4e7aaf. Accessed 3 May 2017.

"William Henry (Bill) Gates." Computer Sciences, edited by K. Lee Lerner and Brenda Wilmoth Lerner, 2nd ed., Macmillan Reference USA, 2013. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2642210032/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=6757e3ea. Accessed 3 May 2017.

William H. Gates III - Bill Gates'' Biography, Interview and Gallery
Gates Notes - Bill Gates'' Blog
Gates Foundation - Bill Gates'' Philanthropic Foundation