Bill Gates

by Kyle from Shippensburg

Bill Gates
Bill Gates

Bill Gates is my hero because he has a lot of qualities that I admire. Bill Gates didn’t start off as the most successful person nor was he always well liked, but he stuck to what he wanted to do. Some people think that he is a bad person who ran his business in ways that are illegal. I am not one of those people. I believe he is a hero because he is intelligent, hard working, and a great humanitarian.

Bill Gates showed intelligence early on in life. At age 13 his school got an ASR-33 teletype terminal. Amazingly, Bill Gates learned how to program it in BASIC and also figured out a loophole in the program to get free computer time. The first program he ever wrote was a Tic-Tac-Toe game where you played against the computer. After being caught and banned by the CCC he got a job working for them to find glitches and loopholes in their programs. After a while even his school employed him to write the program to sort out students schedules. He did it but not before putting a bug in the program so he would get classes with mostly girls in them. All of these reasons are why I think Bill Gates possesses better than average intelligence. Even when he took the SATs, he got a 1590 out of 1600.

Bill Gates had to work very hard to get to where he is now. He started working at programming for companies while he was still in school. While working with a group of people at MIT, he and they helped form a team called Micro-Soft. Microsoft then partnered with IBM to write operating systems for their computers in BASIC. As a boss of the company Bill Gates did not tolerate laziness. He continued to help write the code for some of their operating systems. These facts prove to me that Bill Gates isn’t afraid to work hard.

Now that Bill Gates has stepped down at Microsoft he has had more time to explore the humanitarian aspects of his personality. Bill Gates and his wife, Malinda, have been very charitable. They have even the Bill & Malinda Gates Foundation, which is currently the largest charity that operates everything publicly. As of 2007 Bill Gates has donated $28 billion to charity, and pledged to donate over half of his wealth. One of his most current actions is forming teams to go to India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria, with the end goal to wipe out polio worldwide. He has teams distributing medicine to the populations of these countries and also working on better treatments and cures for it.

In summary, Bill Gates is a great person. He is very intelligent, even from an early age. Hard work was what he did and did well to get to the top. Now he is a great humanitarian fighting to wipe out a very dangerous disease. As far as I am concerned Bill Gates has earned the title of, Hero.