Dr. Brenda Grettenberger

by Isabella from MIssion Viejo

"Best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patient what's the matter. He's just got to know" Will Rogers
Dr. Brenda Grettenberger hard at work (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/the-inc ())

Being a large animal vet is rewarding and exciting. The rewards come from helping animals and seeing new life being born. I have always been interested in large animal's science. The traits and actions that attracts me to Dr. Grettenberger is that she wins over the hearts of many views by how she had to build a relationship with the dairy farmers for business, and her patients to train her oxen to pull a wagon. Because of my high school class I get to have the privilege to write about my personal career hero. I am a high school freshman and my plan for the future is become a vet.

Veterinarians provide medical care for animals of all sizes. The duties of a veterinary are to examine animals, diagnose their health, treat wounds, and research medical conditions. The most common location for Veterinarians to work is in private clinics, hospitals, laboratories and traveling to farms for larger animals. A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M. or V.M.D.) degree at an accredited college of veterinary medicine is necessary to get. In the U.S. there are currently 29 colleges with accredited programs for veterinary medical degrees. (the Occupation Outlook Handbook) To become a veterinarian, it will take students 4 years before graduating. Students take courses on animal anatomy, physiology, disease prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. "Most programs include 3 years of classroom, laboratory, and clinical work". (The Occupation Outlook Handbook) During the last year in school the students work in a veterinary medical center or hospital, so that they get experience. Since veterinary programs are very competitive, it is a good idea to have a bachelor's degree before applying. Before entering Veterinary medical colleges it is a good idea to have already taken many science classes, including biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, zoology, microbiology, math, and animal science. ( the Occupation Outlook Handbook) According to the Occupation Outlook Handbook website, "The median annual wage for veterinarians was $84,460 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $51,530, and the top 10 percent earned more than $144,100." Compared to other profession that requires a higher degree, the income is not high. Similar related careers are Vet Lab Tech, which involves related work, but without as much formal preparation or responsibility.

Portrait of Dr. Brenda (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/the-inc ())

Dr. Brenda Grettenberger is a large animal vet who was born in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, in 1967. Born into the dairy farming business she was always around animals. I first became aware of my personal career hero through her work on National Geographic's The Incredible Dr. Pol Television series. This reality show features the lives of veterinarian, which is full of adventure and problem solving. The National Geographic Wild website states that Dr. Grettenberger worked on her family's dairy farm when she was a young person. She always loved being around animals. Although not much is documented about her earlier life we can assume that she was responsible and a good student. On the show she has lot of responsibilities and she is a very accomplished vet. She graduated from Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1992. After graduation she started working at Pol Veterinary Services. The Amazing Dr. Pol television series first aired in 2011 and Dr. Grettenberger has been on the show from the start. A specific career success was getting farmers to accept a female veterinarian. In an interview with Dr. Grettenberger for National Geographic, she states that, "It took time for some of the older farmers to adjust to having a female veterinarian." Since there are fewer farms today, she stays at the clinic helping small animals and periodically goes to farms to help livestock.

Dr. Brenda Grettenberger helps society by caring for pets and livestock. As part of the Dr. Pol show on Nat Geo, she demonstrates the life of a veterinarian. She is a gifted doctor and show compassion to her clients. For example when a client has to put down their pet dog she shows great sympathy and understanding. Dr. Pol is quoted as saying, "If you never try it, you'll never be able to say, 'Hey! It worked!" Dr. Grettenberger's will to keep with a sick animal makes her a great veterinarian. Her commitment not to give up on sick animal is part of what makes her a great veterinarian.

Dr. Brenda Grettenberger with her lovely Oxen (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558727897499029172/ ())

I hope to follow in the footsteps of my personal career hero, Dr. Brenda Grettenberger, by achieving my high school, college and lifetime goals. In high school I will work hard to achieve good grades and work with animals outside of school. Currently I am part of 4H which is a club for kids to raise and learn about a variety of animals. I also volunteer at the Shea Horse Center. After graduating from high school, I will get a 4 year degree in Biology then study veterinary medicine at the University of California, Davis. UC Davis is a good choice for me to prepare for this field since it is ranked number one for in American for it's veterinary medicine school. My lifetime goal is to have a veterinary practice and volunteer my time to help the community. Dr. Grettenberger is a great role model because her success stems from her knowledge and compassion for all creatures.

Meet the Dr. Pol Team - Meet the whole team!!
Occupational outlet handbook - Check out a summary on this job.
Facebook fan page - Check this out!